Dr. Brent Bowen is currently Professor of Aeronautical Science, College of Aviation at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ. He is the former Dean of the College of Aviation.
Previously, Dr. Bowen was Professor and Head, Department of Aviation Technology within the Purdue University College of Technology. Dr. Bowen has also served as Professor and Chair, Aviation Science, Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology, directed the office of Air Transportation Policy and served as Senior Fellow for the National Center for Aviation Safety Research at Saint Louis University.
Dr. Bowen's research interests focus on enhancing collegiate aviation and technology higher education, as well as integrating higher education and technology industries.
His Federal Aviation Administration certifications include Airline Transport Pilot (Type-rated Douglas DC-3 SIC), Certified Flight Instructor (SEL, MEL, Instrument) with Gold Seal, Advanced-Instrument Ground Instructor, Aviation Safety Counselor, and Aerospace Education Counselor.
Specialties: Dr. Bowen's research on the development of the national Airline Quality Rating is regularly viewed by more than 75 million people each year and is annually featured on national newscasts including ABC's Good Morning America, The Cable News Network (CNN), USA Today, The Today Show, ABC World News Tonight, The Associated Press, The Wall Street Journal, network evening news shows, and in numerous other national and international media.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education, Oklahoma State University
- M.B.A. - Master of Business Administration in Business Administration, Oklahoma City University
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Political Science, Oklahoma State University
- AS 199: Special Topic in Aero Science
- AS 399: Special Topics in Aero Science
- AS 499: Special Topics in Aero Science
- AS 480: Applied Aviation Research Meth
- AS 207: Intro Aviation Research Meth
- Determinants of Underrepresentation of Women in Aviation Education , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (1993)
- Agate Outcomes Analysis: Using the Foundation for SATS , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (2004)
- A Quantitative Methodology for Measuring Airline Quality , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (1992)
- The Airline Quality Rating: Developing an Industry Standard , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (1993)
- Recruiting on the Outside: Action-Oriented Research Solutions to External Student Recruitment in Collegiate Aviation Education , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (1999)
- Accreditation of Collegiate Aviation’s Distance Education Programs: Now and in the Future , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (2001)
- Analysis of the Case Writing Method for College Teaching , Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (1995)
- Airline Quality Rating 2014 , Airline Quality Rating Report (2014)
- The National Airline Passenger Survey 2014 , Discovery Day - Prescott (2014)
- Session I: Discussion Forum , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2014)
- A3iR CON Opening Address/Welcome , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2015)
- Welcome & Keynote Presentation , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2014)
- Airline Quality Rating 2015 , Airline Quality Rating Report (2015)
- A Concept Model for Comparative Analysis Applied to the U.S. Airline Industry , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2015)
- Trend Analysis and Operational Performance Indicators in the U.S. Airline Industry , Aeronautical Science - Prescott (2014)
- Designing Case Study Research for Pedagogical Application and Scholarly Outcomes , Aeronautical Science - Prescott (2014)
- Data Mining and Social Media for promotion and marketing in the Aerospace Industry , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2015)
- Mid Morning Concurrent Sessions: Consumer Perceptions in Aviation: Presentation: Impact Factors for the National Annual Airline Quality Rating and A3iR Con , Aviation / Aeronautics / Aerospace International Research Conference (2016)
- A Process Plan for Consensus Building in the Evaluation of NSGC & EPSCoR Native American Outreach Program , Publications (2008)
- Airline Quality Rating 2014 , Discovery Day - Prescott (2014)
Additional Professional Experience:
Executive Editor - Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, Recent professional affiliations include the University Aviation Association (past Board Member), Aviation Accreditation Board International (Committee Chair), World Aerospace Education Organization (Past-President), International Air Transportation Research Society (Network Committee Member), Aerospace States Association (Governor's Delegate), Alpha Eta Rho International Aviation Fraternity, and the Missouri Academy of Sciences.
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Civil Air Patrol, January 1990 Education
Aerospace Education Member and Aviation Education Counselor with hundreds of speaking events on aviation topics in schools, colleges, and professional settings.
Aviation Safety Councelor, Federal Aviation Administration from January 1990 – Present (26 years 5 months) Education
Provide Aviation Safety Programs and Individual Safety Counseling to Airmen
Memberships and Credentials
Airline Transport Pilot
Federal Aviation Administration, License Douglas DC-3 (SIC) type rating starting January 1989
Certified Flight Instructor
Federal Aviation Administration, License SEL, MEL, Instrument starting May 1989
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Dr. Bowen has been recognized with awards of achievement and commendation from the American Marketing Association, the American Society of Public Administration, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Federal Aviation Administration, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the W. Frank Barton School of Business, the Travel and Transportation Research Association, University Aviation Association, World Aerospace Education Organization, the Scientific Board of Latvia, and others.