Areas of Expertise
Flight dynamics and control
Dr. Moreno earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, followed by a Master of Science in Structural Engineering from the Universidad del Valle in Cali, Colombia. She also obtained a Master of Science and Ph.D in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics from the University of Minnesota, where she worked in the System Dynamics and Controls Laboratory.
Dr. Moreno's research interests lie within the field of aeroservoelasticity. They include modeling, flight control and flutter suppression for very flexible aircraft wings. Her research interests also include structural health monitoring and damage identification, structural and multidisciplinary optimization, and sensor and actuator location in flexible aircraft.
Dr. Moreno has been awarded the Amelia Earhart Fellowship for two consecutive years. This fellowship is awarded to women around the world pursuing doctoral studies in aerospace engineering. She also participated in the Asia-Pacific Summer School on Smart Structures Technology held in China. In addition, she obtained the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship awarded by the University of Minnesota to support her research. Dr. Moreno enjoys salsa dancing in her free time.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota System : Twin Cities
- M.S. - Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota System : Twin Cities
- AE 413: Airplane Stability & Control
- AE 700: Thesis
- AE 695H: Convex Optim for Control Appl
- Moreno, C. P., Seiler, P., and Balas, G. J., "Model Reduction for Aeroservoelastic Systems," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 51, No. 1, January 2014.
- Moreno, C. P., and Thomson, P., "Design of an Optimal Tuned Mass Damper for a System with Parametric Uncertainty," Annals of Operations Research: Special Issue Applied Optimization in Manufacturing and Services, Vol. 181, No. 1, December 2010.
- Moreno, C. P., and Thomson, P., "Parametric Uncertainty in Dynamic Models of Civil Structures," Revista Ingenieria y Competitividad, Vol. 12, No. 1, June 2010.
- Moreno, C. P., P fer, H., and Balas, G. J., "Actuator and Sensor Selection for Robust Control of Aeroelastic Systems," 2015 American Control Conference, Chicago, Illinois, July 2015.
- Moreno, C. P., "Finite Element Structural Model of a Small Flexible Aircraft", Aerospace Control and Guidance Systems Committee (ACGSC), Portland, Oregon, March 2015.
- Leitner, M., Knoblack, A., Kier, T., Moreno, C. P., Kotikalpudi, A., P fer, H., and Balas, G. J., "Flight Dynamics Modeling of a Body Freedom Flutter Vehicle for Multidisciplinary Analyses," AIAA Scitech 2015, Kissimmee, Florida, January 2015.
- Gupta, A., Moreno, C. P., P fer, H., and Balas, G. J., "Updating a Finite Element Based Structural Model of a Small Flexible Aircraft," AIAA Scitech 2015, Kissimmee, Florida, January 2015.
- Moreno, C. P., Gupta, A., P fer, H., Taylor, B., and Balas, G. J., "Structural Model Identication of a Small Flexible Aircraft," 2014 American Control Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 2014.
- Kotikalpudi, A., Moreno, C. P., Taylor, B., P fer, H., and Balas, G. J., "Low Cost Development of a Nonlinear Simulation for a Flexible Uninhabited Air Vehicle," 2014 American Control Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 2014.
- Moreno, C. P., Seiler, P., and Balas, G. J., "Linear, Parameter Varying Model Reduction for Aeroservoelastic Systems," AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, Minneapolis, MN, August 2012.
- Balas, G. J., Moreno, C. P., and Seiler, P., "Robust Aeroservoelastic Control utilizing Physics-Based Aerodynamic Sensing," AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Minneapolis, MN, August 2012.
- Sofrony, J., Moreno, C. P., Seiler, P., and Balas, G. J., "Close-Loop Stabilization of a Flexible Wing Aircraft," XI Latin American Robotics Competition and Colombian Conference on Automatic Control, Bogota, Colombia, October 2011.
- Moreno, C. P., Sofrony, J., Seiler, P., and Balas, G. J., "Model Reduction of Flexible Aircraft for Flutter Suppression using Smart Sensors," 6th International Workshop on Advanced Smart Material and Smart Structures Technology, Dalian, China, July 2011.
- Moreno, C. P., and Thomson, P., "Parametric Uncertainty in Dynamic Model of a Steel Grandstand Structure," X Chilean Congress of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile, May 2010.
Memberships and Credentials
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Aerospace Control and Guidance Systems Committee (ACGSC)
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2014.
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship, Zonta International, 2012 and 2013.
- Asia-Pacific Summer School in Smart Structures Technology, National Science Foundation, 2011.
- Colombian Young Researchers Fellowship, Colciencias, 2009.