Haydee Maria Cuevas
Areas of Expertise
- Situation Awareness in Individuals and Teams
- Human-Automation Interaction
- Technology-Mediated Cognitive Skills Training and Assessment
Haydee M. Cuevas is an Assistant Professor in the College of Aviation School of Graduate Studies at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Daytona Beach, FL. Prior to joining ERAU, she worked for over 7 years as a Research Scientist at SA Technologies, Inc. She has a Ph.D. in Applied Experimental and Human Factors Psychology and a B.A. in Psychology, both from the University of Central Florida. Dr. Cuevas has over 20 years of experience as a human factors researcher investigating a broad range of human performance issues in complex operational environments and has worked on numerous Department of Defense, government, and industry-funded projects, with external funding (as PI or collaborator) totaling over $3 million.
She is first author or co-author on 94 refereed publications (19 journal articles, 12 book chapters, and 63 conference proceedings) and 24 technical reports, and is lead presenter or co-presenter on 99 conference / workshop presentations (84 peer-reviewed and 15 invited). Dr. Cuevas is the lead editor for Human Factors in Practice: Concepts and Applications. She served as the Associate Editor / Administrative Liaison on two Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making Special Issues: "Improving Human-Robot Interaction in Complex Operational Environments: Translating Theory into Practice" (2011) and "Exploring Cognitive Readiness in Complex Operational Environments: Advances in Theory and Practice" (2012-2013).
Dr. Cuevas has served as an ad-hoc reviewer for various journals, including: Cognitive Technology; Ergonomics; Human Factors; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics--Part C: Applications and Reviews; Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making; Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied; Journal of Human Performance in Extreme Environments; Military Psychology; and Pragmatics & Cognition. She has held over 40 volunteer and elected appointments in professional organizations, including the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, American Psychological Association – Division 21 Applied Experimental and Engineering Psychology, and the Society for Human Performance in Extreme Environments.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology, University of Central Florida
- B.A. - Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Central Florida
- Professional Certificate in Project Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
DAV715: Human Factors in Aviation
DAV736: User-Centered Design in Aviation
DAV721: Quantitative Research Methods in Aviation
- Benefits and Challenges of Multidisciplinary Project Teams: "Lessons Learned" for Researchers and Practitioners , Publications (2012)
- Integrating Situation Awareness Assessment Into Test and Evaluation , Publications (2010)
- Mitigating the Negative Effects of Stress in Space Flight: A Transactional Approach , Publications (2003)
- Measuring and Predicting Shared Situation Awareness in Teams , Publications (2009)
- Assessing Situation Awareness in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations , International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace (2017)
- Informing Online Doctoral Course Development Using Student Feedback , Publications (2018)
- Cuevas, H. M. & Aguiar, M. (2017). Assessing situation awareness in unmanned aircraft systems operations. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 4 (4). Retrieved from http://commons.erau.edu/ijaaa/vol4/iss4/3
- Cuevas, H. M. & Fiore, S. M. (2014). Enhancing learning outcomes in computer-based training via self-generated elaboration. Instructional Science, 42 (6), 839-859. DOI: 10.1007/s11251-014-9315-8.
- Schmorrow, D. D., Bolstad, C. A., May, K. A., & Cuevas, H. M. (2012). Editors’ introduction to the special issue on exploring cognitive readiness in complex operational environments: Advances in theory and practice, Part 2. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 6 (4), 355-357.
- Schmorrow, D. D., Bolstad, C. A., May, K. A., & Cuevas, H. M. (2012). Editors’ introduction to the special issue on exploring cognitive readiness in complex operational environments: Advances in theory and practice, Part 1. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 6 (3), 271-275.
- Cuevas, H. M., Bolstad, C. A., Oberbreckling, R., LaVoie, N., Mitchell, D. K., Fielder, J., & Foltz, P. W. (2012). Benefits and challenges of multidisciplinary project teams: “Lessons learned” for researchers and practitioners. International Test and Evaluation Association (ITEA) Journal, 33 (1), 58-65.
- McDermott, P., Riley, J. M., Gillan, D. J., & Cuevas, H. M. (2011). Editors’ introduction to the special issue on improving human-robot interaction in complex operational environments: Translating theory into practice, Part 2. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 5 (2), 135-138.
- McDermott, P., Riley, J. M., Gillan, D. J., & Cuevas, H. M. (2011). Editors’ introduction to the special issue on improving human-robot interaction in complex operational environments: Translating theory into practice. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 5 (1), 3-9.
- Bolstad, C. A. & Cuevas, H. M. (2010). Integrating situation awareness assessment into test and evaluation. International Test and Evaluation Association (ITEA) Journal, 31 (2), 240-246. (Special Issue: User-Centric Systems).
- Saner, L., Bolstad, C. A., Gonzalez, C., & Cuevas, H. M. (2009). Measuring and predicting shared situation awareness in military teams. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 3 (3), 280-308.
- Caldwell, B. S. Palmer, III, R. C., & Cuevas, H. M. (2008). Information alignment and task coordination in organizations: An ‘information clutch’ metaphor. Information Systems Management, 25 (1), 33-44. (Special Issue: “Collaboration Challenges: Bridging the IT Support Gap”).
- Cuevas, H. M. Fiore, S. M., Caldwell, B. S., & Strater, L. (2007). Augmenting team cognition in human-automation teams performing in complex operational environments. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, 78 (5, Supp Section II), B63-70. (Special Supplement on Operational Applications of Cognitive Performance Enhancement Technologies).
- Riley, J. M., Endsley, M. R., Bolstad, C. A., & Cuevas, H. M. (2006). Collaborative planning and situation awareness in Army command and control. Ergonomics, 49 (12-13), 1139-1153. (Special Issue: Command and Control).
- Cuevas, H. M., Fiore, S. M., Bowers, C. A., & Salas, E. (2004). Fostering constructive cognitive and metacognitive activity in computer-based complex task training environments. Computers in Human Behavior, 20, 225-241. (Special Issue: Human-Computer Interaction).
- Kring, J. P., Cuevas, H. M., & Goudarzi, S. (2004). Habitat design considerations for mitigating social stressors in long-duration spaceflight. SAE Transactions – Journal of Aerospace, 113 (1), 1375-1381.
- Cuevas, H. M. (2003). Mitigating the negative effects of stress in space flight: A transactional approach. Journal of Human Performance in Extreme Environments, 7 (2), 69-77.
- Fiore, S. M., Salas, E., Cuevas, H. M., & Bowers, C. A. (2003). Distributed coordination space: Toward a theory of distributed team process and performance. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 4, 340-363.
- Fiore, S. M., Cuevas, H. M., & Oser, R. L. (2003). A picture is worth a thousand connections: The facilitative effects of diagrams on task performance and mental model development. Computers in Human Behavior, 19, 185-199.
- Cuevas, H. M., Fiore, S. M., & Oser, R. L. (2002). Scaffolding cognitive and metacognitive processes in low verbal ability learners: Use of diagrams in computer-based training environments. Instructional Science, 30, 433-464.
- Fiore, S. M., Cuevas, H. M., Scielzo, S., & Salas, E. (2002). Training individuals for distributed teams: Problem solving assessment for distributed mission research. Computers in Human Behavior, 18, 729-744.
Memberships and Credentials
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- HFES Aerospace Systems Technical Group
- HFES Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making Technical Group
- HFES Education Technical Group
- HFES Individual Differences in Performance Technical Group
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Oliver Keith Hansen Outreach Award, presented at the 2015 HFES International Annual Meeting (awarded 10/2015). This annual award recognizes members and nonmembers who engage in significant activities that broaden awareness of the existence of the human factors/ergonomics profession and the benefits it brings to humankind.
- Certificate of Appreciation presented at the 2014 HFES International Annual Meeting in recognition of the 10th anniversary of the HFES Mentor-Mentee Luncheons (10/2014).
- Featured in UCF Alumni Spotlight article: “Alumna pulls from UCF experiences when helping students” (posted 28 January 2013 at http://news.cos.ucf.edu/?p=6120) and “UCF alum gives back by passing onto next generation” (posted 30 January 2013 http://today.ucf.edu/ucf-alum-gives-back-by-passing-onto-next-generation/).
- UCF Order of Pegasus Student Recognition Program – Inducted into the Class of 2004 (awarded 2/2004). This selective program recognizes exemplary performance in academic achievement, professional or community service, leadership, and publication or research experiences. Because of the breadth of accomplishments required for this award, it is the most prestigious and significant student award that can be attained at the University.
- Federation of American Scientists (FAS) Student Visions Essay Contest – Finalist (awarded 10/2003); Invited to present essay at a Congressional meeting held in Washington, DC, to introduce legislation for the Digital Opportunity Investment Trust.