Areas of Expertise
Joseph (Pat) Dunagan is an Engineering Fellow for Systems Engineering, Integration and Test at Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems. He supports aircraft modification, installation and airworthiness certification activities of manned and unmanned aircraft for the SEIT, improvement of systems development competency and capacity to meet the SAS business plan, and the performance of systems development engineering on SAS programs and pursuits. Pat is one of the company’s experts on aircraft flight sciences, ISR aircraft modifications, FAA/EASA/CAA aircraft certification and ISR system of system solutions.
Before assuming his current role, Pat was Chief Engineer of a Special Mission Aircraft Program for SAS’ Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Systems business unit. He was responsible for managing and overseeing execution of all engineering and design efforts in special mission aircraft.
Prior to joining Raytheon, Pat was Senior Director of Engineering and Chief Engineer for Rockwell Collins/ ARINC Aerospace business segment of Rockwell Collins leading all aircraft modification and integration technical activities as well as all Federal Aviation Administration Organizational Delegation Authorities within this business unit.
During his career in the defense and aerospace sectors, Pat has held senior technical roles in avionics, electronic warfare, offensive counterspace operations, cyber operations and related other non-kinetic operations. He has designed platforms for the Gulfstream G550, Bombardier Global 6000 and 8000, C-5M Super Galaxy aircraft, E-2C Hawkeye aircraft, C-130J Special Mission Aircraft variants, F-22 and the F-35 aircraft as well as several unmanned aircraft efforts. He has also served as Air Combat Command Program Manager for a $1B+ ACAT 1 Development Program.
Prior to working in the defense industry, Pat served in the United States Air Force and US Naval Aviation as a Command Space Professional and Naval Aircrewman during multiple deployments in support of Operations Just Cause, Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Southern Watch, Allied Force, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. He received numerous achievement and accommodation medals while serving his country.
Pat earned a bachelor’s degree in aeronautics from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and a master’s degree in Aeronautical Science from Embry Riddle Aeronautical. He is a graduate of the US Army Command and General Staff College and completed the Counterinsurgency Operations Program, is certified in Six Sigma Product and Process Improvement, as well as a certified air safety investigator.
- M.A.S. - Master of Aeronautical Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Ratings and Certificates
- UNSY 601: Unmanned Sys, Comd,Contrl,Comm
- SUAS 6000: Airworth Certification of UAS
ASCI601 – Appl in Space: Comm, Def & Exp
ASCI623 – Aircraft Design & Development
SUAS6000 - Airworthiness Certification of UAS
UNSY601- UAS Command, Control and Communications
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems, McKinney, Texas
Engineering Fellow, Engineering Department (4/2015 to Present)
Provide leadership for key initiatives and programs in special mission aircraft and unattended vehicle systems encompassing system engineering, sustainment, production, requirements management, analysis, configuration baselines, software development, risk management, testing, and evaluation. Direct engineering activities including maintenance, sustainment, technology refresh, software fixes, information assurance projects, system upgrades, and modifications.
- • Recommended improvements to reduce key risks and drive revenue.
- • Decreased unnecessary expenses by effectively managing suppliers including SOWs, requirements specs, and process compliance.
- • Managed high-value, engineering programs to deliver projects within schedule, budget, quality, and compliance goals.
- • Evaluated program metrics, staffing forecasts, Program Management Reviews (PMRs), Technical Performance Measures (TPMs) and recommended enhancements to guarantee alignment with company objectives.
ARINC Aerospace, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Senior Director of Engineering, Engineering Department (10/2012 to 4/2015)
Orchestrated all bottom line factors to drive efficiency including annual budgets, proposals, training, design tools, infrastructure, engineering processes, lab, and staff management. Directed daily FAA Organization Designation Authorization (ODA) operations, FAA STC projects, and applications as well as FAA Parts Manufacture Approval (PMA) Program for fixed, rotary and unmanned aircraft. Served as Chief Design Authority to develop and implement programs.
- • Spearheaded technical solutions for high-value commercial and government clients by effectively managing diverse Engineering team.
- • Successfully mitigated technical risk and delivered receivables within time restraints by providing critical review for programs.
- • Guaranteed accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and requirement compliance of solutions for RFP responses.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company, Marietta, Georgia
Systems Engineer Staff, Mission Systems Integration Department (4/2002 to 10/2012)
Delivered avionics systems engineering services while adhering to company objectives. Implemented analysis, integration, and installation for a variety of aircraft and equipment. Acted as lead author for Systems Subsystems design description and represented US Government Program Office on technical matters.
United States Air Force, HQ Air Combat Command, Directorate of Requirements, Langley AFB, Virginia
Chief, AEA and Airborne Self-Protection Branch, EW/IO/DE Modernization Division (2/2003 to 7/2014)
Oversaw operations to drive quality and innovation including technological initiatives, strategic planning, budget management, and staff management. Managed $1B budget plus Miniature Air Launched Decoy and Jammer version program. Collaborated with internal stakeholders to achieve project goals including USAF and DoD acquisition program managers.
- • Strengthened security by overseeing EW/IO capabilities for global, counter-insurgency, and irregular warfare missions.
- • Effectively collaborated with staff and transition partners to implement technology roadmap development for the CAF.
- • Spearheaded system architecture and requirements while adhering to company objectives including system development, planning, analysis, design, integration, and testing.
- • Acted as Electronic Warfare (EW) Branch Chief and Subject Matter Expert (SME) to guide decision-making.
Principal Systems Engineer, Fixed Wing Aircraft Integration Department ▪ Rockwell Collins Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Systems Engineer Senior, Systems Engineering Department ▪ Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems Marietta, Georgia
Air Defense / Air Traffic Systems Program Manager, Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications-Computer Systems ▪ Headquarters Air Combat Command (ACC) Langley AFB, Virginia
Systems Integration and Validation Engineer, Systems Engineering Department ▪ Grumman Aircraft Systems Division, Grumman Corporation Bethpage, Long Island, New York
Air Traffic Control Radar Technician/Supervisor, Flight Facilities Maintenance ▪ US Air Force, Air Force Communications Command
Memberships and Credentials
FAA, Systems and Equipment Designated Engineering Representative (DER) 14 CFR Part 23 and 14 CFR Part 25
Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society
Senior Member, AIAA
International Society of Air Safety Investigators
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
USAF Reserve Officer of the Year 2007
Association of Old Crows (AOC) Technical Merit Hall of Fame (2007)
USAF IO/EW Company Grade Officer of the Year (2006)