Julio Cesar Benavides
Associate Professor Aerospace Engineering
Aerospace Engineering Department
Prescott College of Engineering
Areas of Expertise
Space Mission Design
Guidance, Navigation, and Control
Attitude Determination and Control
Modeling and Simulation
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- UNIV 101: College Success
- EGR 115: Introduction to Computing for Engineers
- AE 313: Space Mechanics
- EP 394: Space Systems Engineering
- EGR 395: Advanced Computing for Engineers
- AE 399: Special Topics in Astrodynamics
- AE 427: Spacecraft Preliminary Design
- AE 428: Advanced Space Mechanics
- AE 445: Spacecraft Detail Design
- PS 499: Advanced Topics in Space Physics
- AE 499: Advanced Topics in Astrodynamics
- Benavides, J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2009): "The Four-Body Linear Equations of Planar Relative Motion" Acta Astronautica; Vol. 66, No. 1-2; January/February, 2009; pp. 285-300.
- Wittal,M. M.; Benavides J. C.; Clithero, A. O.; Reksoatmodjo, R.; and Schmidt, E. (2017): “Mass Driver and Scramjet Assisted Surface to Orbit Modeling and Simulation” AIAA 2017-2100; International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference; Xiamen, China; March, 2017.
- Martin, K.; Benavides J. C.; and Yale G. (2016): “Elements of Space Systems Engineering Applied to an Astronautics Curriculum” AIAA 2016-5559; AIAA Space and Astronautics Forum and Exposition (Space 2016); Long Beach, California; September 2016.
- Benavides, J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2010): “Approximate Time-Dependent Solutions of the N-Body Problem” AAS 10-186; AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference; San Diego, California; February, 2010.
- Benavides, J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2010): “Approximate Time-Dependent Solutions of the Two-Body Problem” AAS 10-182; AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference; San Diego, California; February, 2010.
- Benavides, J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2009): “The Two-Dimensional Equations of Perturbed Relative Motion” AAS 09-190; AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference; Savannah, Georgia; February, 2009.
- Kumpaty, S.; Schneider, A.; Benavides, J. C.; Oware, C. (2008): “A Tetralattice™ Gradient Fin: Its Creation and Testing” IMECE 2008-66107; ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition; Boston, Massachusetts; November, 2008.
- Benavides J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2008): “Preliminary Assessment of the Next Generation Equations of Relative Motion” IAC-08-C.1.3.5; International Astronautical Congress; Glasgow, Scotland; September, 2008.
- Benavides J. C. and Spencer D. B. (2008): “Optimal Two-Impulse Phasing for Elliptical Orbits” AAS 08-199; AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference; Galveston, Texas; February, 2008.
- Benavides, J. C. and Spencer, D. B. (2007): “Sun-Earth Triangular Lagrange Point Orbit Insertion and Satellite Station Keeping” AAS 07-234; AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference; Sedona, Arizona; January, 2007.
- Benavides, J. C. and Correa, G. (2004): “Morphing Wing Design Using Nitinol Wire” National Ronald E. McNair Scholars Conference; Berkeley, California; August, 2004.
- Benavides, J. C. (2004): “Performance Testing of a Thermally Gradient TetrallaticeTM Heat Fin Built via Solid Freeform Fabrication” National Conference on Undergraduate Research; Indianapolis, Indiana; April, 2004.
Memberships and Credentials
- American Astronautical Society
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Sigma Gamma Tau National Aerospace Engineering Honor Society
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society