Areas of Expertise
plasma physics, inverse problems, high performance scientific computing, optimization, mathematical modeling and simulations, signal processing, data analysis, remote sensing, Global Positioning System (GPS), space weather effects, and upper atmosphere physics
In Fall 2016, I joined the Physical Sciences Department as an Assistant Professor of Engineering Physics at ERAU. Before that, I was a postdoctoral research associate with Professor C. Robert Clauer at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA. I was awarded Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from Virginia Tech in 2014 for my work in the area of Space Science with Dr. Clauer. I worked closely with Dr. Gary Bust at Johns Hopkins Applied Research Lab (JHUAPL) for my PhD.
My research interests include remote sensing, Global Positioning System (GPS), space weather effects, inverse problems, big data, high-performance scientific computing, mathematical modeling and simulations, signal processing, data analysis, upper atmosphere physics and magnetosphere-ionosphere interactions.
Before starting my PhD, I did my Masters in Radio Astronomy at Virginia Tech. I completed my Bachelor of Technology from the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication at College of Engineering Pune (COEP), India.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- EP 800: Dissertation
PS160 - Physics for Engineers II
PS250 - Physics for Engineers III
- Su, Y., S. Datta-Barua, G. S. Bust, and K. Deshpande (2017), Distributed sensing of ionospheric irregularities with a GNSS receiver array, Radio Sci., 52, 988–1003, doi:10.1002/2017RS006331.
Chartier, A., B. Forte, K. Deshpande, G. Bust, and C. Mitchell (2016), Three‐dimensional modeling of high‐latitude scintillation observations, Radio Sci., 51, 1022–1029, doi: 10.1002/2015RS005889.
Deshpande, K. B., G. S. Bust, C. R. Clauer, W. A. Scales, N. A. Frissell, J. M. Ruohoniemi, L. Spogli, C. Mitchell, and A. T. Weatherwax (2016), Satellite-beacon Ionospheric-scintillation Global Model of the upper Atmosphere (SIGMA) II: Inverse modeling with high-latitude observations to deduce irregularity physics, J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 121, 9188–9203, doi:10.1002/2016JA022943.
- S. Datta-Barua, Y. Su, K. Deshpande, D. Miladinovich, G. S. Bust, D. Hampton, and G. Crowley (2015). First light from a kilometer-baseline Scintillation Auroral GPS Array. Geophysical Research Letters, 42:3639--3646, May 2015, doi: 10.1002/2015GL063556.
- S. Datta-Barua, Y. Su, K. Deshpande, G. Bust, and D. Hampton (2014). Auroral scintillation phase analysis from a short-baseline gps array. In in Proceedings of the 27th International Technical Meeting of The Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS 2014), Tampa, FL,, pages 1101--1107, September 2014.
- K.B. Deshpande (2014). Investigation of High Latitude Ionospheric Irregularities Utilizing Modeling and GPS Observations. PhD thesis, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, June 2014, http://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/49507 .
- C. R. Clauer, H. Kim, K. B. Deshpande, Z. Xu, D. Weimer, S. B. Musko, G. Crowley, F. Chad, R. Nealy, T. E. Humphreys, and J. A. Bhatti (2014). Autonomous Adaptive Low-Power Instrument Platform (AAL-PIP) for remote high latitude geospace data collection. Geosci. Instrum. Method. Data Syst. Discuss., 4:271--317, 2014.
- K. B. Deshpande, G. S. Bust, C. R. Clauer, C. L. Rino, and C. S. Carrano (2014). Satellite-beacon Ionospheric-scintillation Global Model of the upper Atmosphere (SIGMA) I: High latitude sensitivity study of the model parameters. Journal of Geophysical Research (Space Physics), 119:4026--4043, 2014.
- H. Kim, C.R. Clauer, K. Deshpande, M.R. Lessard, A.T. Weatherwax, G.S. Bust, G. Crowley, and T.E. Humphreys. Ionospheric irregularities during a substorm event: Observations of ULF pulsations and GPS scintillations. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 114(0):1 -- 8, 2014.
- G.S. Bust, S. Datta-Barua, K. Deshpande, S. Bourand, S. Skone, and Y. Su. Correlation properties of a 2-d array of high latitude scintillation receivers. In Proceedings of the 26th International Technical Meeting of The Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS 2013), pages 2470--2479, Nashville, TN, September 2013, 2013.
- K. B. Deshpande, G. S. Bust, C. R. Clauer, H. Kim, J. E. Macon, T. E. Humphreys, J. A. Bhatti, S. B. Musko, G. Crowley, and A. T. Weatherwax. Initial GPS Scintillation results from CASES receiver at South Pole, Antarctica. Radio Science, 47:RS5009, 2012.
- C. D. Patterson, S. W. Ellingson, B. S. Martin, K. Deshpande, J. H. Simonetti, M. Kavic, and S. E. Cutchin. Searching for Transient Pulses with the ETA Radio Telescope. ACM Trans. Reconfigurable Technology & Systems, 1(4):19, January 2009.
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Nominee for Virginia Tech Graduate school's best PhD dissertation award, 2013-14.
- Honorable mention in the student poster competitions at CEDAR 2013 in Boulder, CO and CEDAR 2014, Seattle, WA.
- Student award to participate in National Science Foundation (NSF)-sponsored collaborative research project to study the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere coupling at high latitudes at Poker Flat, Alaska, November-December 2013.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) Student travel award for AGU Fall meeting in 2011.
- Visiting Researcher at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station under the United States Antarctic Program (USAP) during December 2010- January 2011.
- Young Scientist award Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Fellow from 2004-2007.
- Undergraduate Consortium Invitee with travel award (only international student amongst 8 participants), July 2005. Consortium for Undergraduate Research and Education in Astronomy (CUREA), Mount Wilson Observatory, California, USA.
- National Talent Search Scholarship holder, 2001.