Dr. Bazargan is currently a Professor of Operations Research, Operations Management and the Associate Dean for Research at the College of Business, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He is the author of “Airline Operations and Scheduling”. He has worked on extensive funded research grants from the FAA, Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the aviation industry. Some of his industry research projects include aircraft boarding strategy, aircraft replacement strategy, optimizing flight block and ground times, aviation safety studies, manpower planning, airports funding strategies and airports productivity and efficiency. He has extensive publications and research interests in optimization and simulation applied to transportation and aviation industries.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, University of New South Wales
- BA 511: Operations Research
- Production & Operations Management (undergraduate, MBA, Executive MBA and online MBA)
- Quantitative Methods I & II (executive MBA)
- Operations Research (MBA)
- Airline Optimization and Simulation Systems (MBA)
- Project Management (undergraduate)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing & Management (graduate)
- Material Handling (graduate)
- Quality Control, Reliability and Maintenance (undergraduate)
- Simulation (undergraduate and MBA)
- Optimization (graduate)
- Multi- Objective Mathematical Programming (graduate)
- A Simulation Approach to Manpower Planning at Continental Airlines
- A Simulation Study to Determine Optimal Shipping Strategy
- Aircraft Boarding Strategies
- Aircraft Replacement Strategy
- Development of an Aviation Weather Database Highlighting Weather Encounters
- Fellowship in Advanced Simulation & Training
- Fellowship in Advanced Simulation & Training - Runway Layout
- GA Airport funding strategies
- General Aviation Safety Analysis
- LAX Tow Tugs Feasibility Study
- Manpower Planning for Maintenance Crew at SFO
- NextGen Task G 4D FMS TBO Demonstration Benefits Analyses
- Statistical Analysis for General Aviation Accidents
- Tow Tug Simulation Feasibility Study
- Integration of Small Aircraft Transportation Systems (SATS) into General Aviation
- A Database Management System for General Aviation Safety
- Bazargan, M. (2004), Airline Operations & Scheduling, ISBN: 075463616X, Ashgate Publishing Co (Chinese Translation 2006).
INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Bazargan, M., (2001), A Multi-Criteria Model for Warehouse Layout Design, Lecture Notes in Economic and Mathematical Systems Multiple Criteria Decision Making in the new Millennium, Springer-Verlag, pp. 327-337.
- Bazargan, M., (1999), Intra-cell and Inter-cell Layout designs in Cellular Manufacturing, Handbook of Cellular Manufacturing Systems, John Wiley, pp. 111-140.
SELECTED REFEREED INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Guzhva, V.S., Bazargan, M, and Byers, D. (2008), Determinants of Financial Health of U.S. General Aviation Airports., Journal of Airport Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, 158-182.
- Guzhva, V.S., Bazargan, M, and Byers, D. (2008) Entrepreneurial Spirit in Government Managed Enterprises: Evidence from the U.S. General Aviation Airports, Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting, and Financial Management, Forthcoming.
- Bazargan, M., Guzhva, V., (2007), Factors Contributing to Fatalities in General Aviation, World Review of Intermodal Transportation Research, Issue 2, 170-182.
- Bazargan, M. (2007), A Linear Programming approach for Aircraft Boarding Strategy, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 183, pp 394-411.
- Bazargan, M., (2004), Flexible versus Fixed Timetabling - A Case Study, Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 55, 123-131.
- Bazargan, M., Vasigh, S. (2003), Size versus Efficiency - A case study on U.S. Commercial Airports, Journal of Air Transport Management, , Vol. 9, pp 187-193.
- Bazargan, M., Nahavandi, S. (2001), The impact of cell formation on layout designs in cellular manufacturing systems, Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Vol. 7, No. 1, 13-23.
- Bazargan, M., Kaebernick, H., Harraf, A. (2000), Cell formation and layout designs in a cellular manufacturing environment A case study, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 38, No. 7, 1689-1709.
- Bazargan, M. (1999), Layout Designs in Cellular Manufacturing - A Case Study., European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 112, pp. 258-272.
- Bazargan, M., Kaebernick, H., (1997), An Approach to the Machine Layout Problem in a Cellular Manufacturing Environment, Production Planning & Control, Vol. 3., pp. 139-150.
- Bazargan, M., Kaebernick, H., (1996), An efficient hybrid method to solve equal and unequal-size facility layout problems, International Journal of Industrial Engineering - applications and practice, Vol. 3 (1), pp. 51-63.
- Bazargan, M., Kaebernick, H., (1996), Intra-cell and Inter-cell layout designs for Cellular Manufacturing, International Journal of Industrial Engineering - applications and practice, Vol. 3(3), pp. 139-150.
- Kaebernick, H., Bazargan, M., (1996), An Integrated Approach to the Design of Cellular Manufacturing, CIRP Annals, , Vol. 45/1, pp. 421-425.
SELECTED REFERRED INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- Bazargan, M., (2007), A mathematical model for minimizing passenger interferences for boarding a single aisle aircraft, Proceedings of 22nd European Conference on Operational Research, Prague, July 8-11.
- Bazargan, M., Talaga, M., Yen-Ping, W., (2006), Super-tug Simulation Feasibility Study, Proceedings of Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering & Technology (PICMET 06), Istanbul July 8-13.
- Bazargan, M., Ruiz, J., Cole, V., (2006), Aircraft Boarding Strategies: A Simulation Study, Proceedings of Airline Group of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (AGIFORS) Study Group, Dubai, May 6-10.
- Bazargan, M., Baohong J., (2005), Aircraft Maintenance Planning and Control Simulation Model for AirTran Airways, Proceedings of the Airline Group of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (AGIFORS), Brazil, Sep 25-30.
- Bazargan, M. (2004), A simulation case study for maintenance operations, Proceedings of Decision Science Institute (DSI) Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, Nov 20-23.
- Bazargan, M., Ross, D., (2004), A comparative risk measure for general aviation, Proceedings of Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM 2004), Whistler, B. C. Canada August 6-11.
- Bazargan, M., Gupta, P., Young, S., (2003), A simulation approach to manpower planning, Proceedings of Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2003), New Orleans, Dec. 7-10, pp 1677-1685.
- Bazargan, M., Fleming, K., Subramanian, P., (2002), A simulation study to investigate runway capacity using TAAM simulation modeler, Proceedings of Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2002), San Diego, Dec. 8-11, pp 1235-1243.
- Bazargan, M., Vasigh, B., (2002), Efficiency measures for US commercial Airports, A DEA Approach to Study the Size and Efficiency of US Commercial Airports, CD ROM Proceedings of Air Transport Research Society 2002 (ATRS 2002), Seattle 14-16 July.
- Bazargan, M., McGrath, R.N., (2002), Simulation as a tool for manpower planning, Proceedings of 9th SOLE The International Society of Logistics Conference, Feb. 15-16, 2002, Orlando Florida, pp. 81-94.
- Bazargan, M., (2001), A Simulation Approach to Improving Operations at Flight Training Department at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Proceedings of The Second European Conference on Intelligent Management Systems in Operations (IMSIO 2), 3-4 July 2001, University of Salford, UK, pp 21-29.
- Bazargan, M.,. (2000), Efficient Warehouse Layout Designs with Multiple objectives, 15th international conference on Multiple Criteria Decision-Making (MCDM 2000), July 10-14 Ankara, Turkey. This research work was nominated for Wiley Prize for best paper on MCDM reporting a real-case application.
- Bazargan, M., Harraf, A., (2000), Cellular Manufacturing a system approach for design, Proceedings of the 4th international conference on Managing Innovative Manufacturing (MIM 2000), 17-19 July 2000, pp. 103-109.
- Bazargan, M., (1997), Inter-Cell Layout Designs in a Cellular Manufacturing Environment - A Case Study, Proceedings of the 7th international Flexible And Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM) Conference, European Process Industries Competitiveness Center, Middlesbrough, England, 25-27 June 1997, pp. 504-516.
- Bazargan, M., (1995), An Efficient Multiple Criteria Approach to Design of the Physical Layout In a Cellular Manufacturing Environment, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Manufacturing Engineering, Melbourne 29 Nov.- 1 Dec. 1995, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 399-405.
- Bazargan, M., Kaebernick, H., (1995), Simulated Annealing and Local Search Methods - An Integrated Approach, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Manufacturing Engineering, Melbourne, Australia, Vol. 1, pp. 107-114.
- Aug 2007 - Present Professor and Department Chair of Management, Marketing and Operations, College of Business, Embry - Riddle Aeronautical University, College of Business, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Aug 2003 Aug 2007 Tenured Associate Professor, Production/ Operations Management & Operations Research, Embry - Riddle Aeronautical University, College of Business, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Jan 1999 Jul 2003 Assistant Professor Production/ Operations Management & Operations Research, Tenure Track, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, College of Business, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- July 1996 Dec 1998 Assistant Professor Operations Research, University of Western Sydney, School of Science & Technology, Australia.
- August 1992- July 1996 Research Fellow/ Assistant Professor, Industrial Technology, University of New South Wales, School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, Sydney, Australia.
Memberships and Credentials
" Runner-up for Outstanding Researcher of the year Award, Daytona Beach Campus, 2006
" Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Business ERAU, 2005.
" Runner-up for Outstanding Researcher of the year Award, Daytona Beach Campus, 2005
" Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Business ERAU, 2003.
" Runner-up for Outstanding Teacher of the year Award, Daytona Beach Campus- ERAU, 2003.
" Runner-up for Wiley Prize for best paper on Multi-Criteria Decision Making reporting a real-case application, 2000.