Richard P. Anderson
Dr. Anderson is a Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Daytona Beach Campus. He holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering from the University of Central Florida. His undergraduate and masters degrees are from Penn State University in Aerospace Engineering. He holds an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate and is an FAA Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) in airplanes, multi-engine airplanes, instrument airplanes and gliders. He is an FAA certified aircraft mechanic (A&P) with Inspection Authorization (IA). In 2012 Dr. Anderson was awarded the Florida State University Professor of the Year by the Carnegie Foundation and is the first person within the University to be granted tenure in the College of Aviation and the College of Engineering. He is currently the Director of the University's Eagle Flight Research Center, where he supervises several students and staff.
Funded Research Activities:
- Hybrid and Electric Aircraft Propulsion
- Alternative aviation fuel certification and testing
- Hybrid tailsitter UAV development - Airframe/propulsion/controls
- Agricultural UAV research and development
- Manned aircraft Fly-by-Wire systems
- Aircraft Parameter Identification (PID) for simulation, math modeling and controls
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, University of Central Florida
- M.S. - Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- AE 800: Dissertation
- Safety Assurance of Non-Deterministic Flight Controllers in Aircraft Applications - 1st Aerospace Engineering PhD Dissertation - Alfonso Noriega (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Battery Centric Serial Hybrid Aircraft Performance and Design Space (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Aviation Propulsive Lithium-Ion Battery Packs State-of-Charge and State-of-Health Estimation and Propulsive Battery System Weight Analysis (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Propulsive Battery Packs Sizing for Aviation Applications (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Analytic and Numeric Forms of Range and Endurance for Hybrid and Electric Aircraft
- Low-Cost Wearable Head-Up Display for Flight in General Aviation Aircraft (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- A Computational Fluid Dynamics Study on the Aerodynamic Performance of Ram-Air Parachutes (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Anderson, Richard P., 'UCAV Backwards Engine Configuration', Advances in Aviation Safety Conference & Exposition, Daytona Beach, FL, 1999.
Anderson, Richard P., Hubert, Smith C., 'Use of GPS for Airspeed Calibrations on Light Aircraft', Proceedings of the AIAA/FAA/MSU 3rd Joint Symposium on General Aviation Systems, 1994.
- Gulfstream Aerospace; Engineer, Summers 2004 and 2005
Memberships and Credentials
- Airline Transport Pilot
- Instrument Rated Helicopter Pilot
- Certified Flight Instructor in Airplanes, multi, instrument and glider
- Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
- Inspection Autorization
- Basic Ground Instructor
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- 2012 Florida State University Professor of the Year, The Carnegie Foundation
- Researcher of the Year ERAU, 2006
- Unsung Eagle Service Award, 2006
- President’s Safety Award, 2010
- Runner up to the Teach of the Year, 2007