Areas of Expertise
Dr. Reed is a proud husband and father. While an undergraduate at BYU, public health's philosophy of 'Prevention over Treatment' resonated with him. Despite that, he thought medicine was his calling - and several months into medical school realized his passion lay elsewhere. During his masters degree at the University of Arizona his interests were in infectious diseases, but he took a chance with an Industrial Hygiene internship at a surface copper mine and never looked back. Since then the mining industry has taken him 7,000 feet underground in Arizona, 14,000 feet above sea-level in Chile, and through several other incredible experiences. He believes that getting an education (and achieving your dreams) is more about hard work and persistence than intelligence. He finished his PhD at the University of Arizona in March of 2017, and became a certified industrial hygienist (CIH) in November 2017.
Dr. Reed's teaching approach focuses on practical exercises and project-based application of safety and health concepts. His scholarly interests include development of new monitoring technologies for occupational health, use of data science to measure and predict risk, and improving safety through leadership development and training.
- M.P.H. - Master of Public Health in Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Arizona
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Public Health: Health Sciences, Brigham Young University
- MSF 580: Ind Hygiene & Envrnmntl Prtctn
- MSF 612: Research Methods
- MSF 699: Spec Topics in Safety Science
- SF 475: Senior Project
- SF 415: Human Reliab and Safety Analy
- MSF 691: Graduate Capstone Course
MSF580 - Industrial Hygiene and Environmental Protection
MSF603 - Occupational Safety
MSF686 - Emergency Preparedness
MSF691 - Graduate Capstone Course
MSF699 - Special Topics in Safety Science
SF415 - Human Reliability and Safety Analysis
SF420 - Analysis of Observational Data
- Reed R, Lutz E. Review of Occupational Health and Safety Interventions and Research Tailored to Vulnerable Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing Workers. International Journal of Public Health Research. 2017; 5(2): 20-30
- Lutz E, Reed R, Lee V, Burgess J. Comparison of Diesel and Biodiesel Exhaust Exposures in an Underground Mine. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 2017.
- Mehus A, Reed R, Lee V, Littau S, Chengcheng H, Lutz E, Burgess J. Comparison of Acute Health Effects from Use of Diesel and Biodiesel Fuels. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2015; 57(7):705-712.
- Lutz E, Reed R, Turner D, Littau S, Lee V, Hu C. Effectiveness Evaluation of Existing Noise Controls in a Deep Shaft Underground Mine. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 2015; 12(5):287-293.
- Lutz E, Reed R, Lee V, Burgess J. Occupational Exposures to Emissions from Combustion of Diesel and Alternative Fuels in Underground Mining – A Simulated Pilot Study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 2015; 12(3):D18-D25.
- Lutz E, Reed R, Turner D, Littau S. Occupational Heat Strain in a Hot Underground Metal Mine. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2014; 56(4):388-396.
- Rogers D, Leite R, Reed R. Molecular phylogenetics of an endangered species: the Tamaulipan woodrat (Neotoma angustapalata). Conservation Genetics. 2011; 12(4):1035-1048.
- Assistant Professor, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, AZ. (Jan 2017 – present)
- Industrial Hygiene & Safety Consultant, Independent Contractor. (Feb 2013 – present)
- Industrial Hygienist, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. (Nov 2012 – Dec 2016)
- Adjunct Professor, Embry-Riddle University, Prescott, AZ. (Jan 2016 – Dec 2016)
- Adjunct Instructor, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. (Aug – Dec 2015)
- Industrial Hygiene Intern, Freeport-McMoRan, Green Valley, AZ. (May – Nov 2012)
Memberships and Credentials
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Society of Safety Professionals
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Chair, AIHA Mining Working Group. (2017-present, Vice-Chair 2015-2017)
- Secretary-Elect, AIHA AZ Local Section. (2017-present, Secretary 2015-2016)
- Volunteer Group Service Award, AIHA Mining Working Group. (2015)
- ‘Honorable Mention’ award, Public Health category at the UA Student Showcase. (2014)
- ‘Best of Session’ award, AIHce Poster Session. (2014)
- ‘Best Volunteer Group Student Poster’ awards; Oil and Gas Working Group, Real-Time Detection Systems Committee, Safety Committee, AIHce Poster Session. (2014)
- AIHF Fellows Scholarship, American Industrial Hygiene Foundation. (2014)
- ‘Best Research Poster’ award, UA Environmental Research Grad Blitz. (2013)
- NIOSH Training Grant recipient, University of Arizona. (2011-2013)