Dr. Sirish Namilae joined Aerospace engineering department in 2014 after a six year career at Boeing. He earned a master’s degree in materials science from Indian Institute of Science and a PhD in mechanical engineering from Florida State University. Subsequently, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
At Boeing he worked in airframe structure analysis in several programs like 787-8 & 9, 777-9X, rotorcraft programs and in product development. He was the structures focal for main landing gear doors in multiple aircrafts and also served as Associate Editor (Structures) for the company’s internal journal, Boeing Technical Journal. He also taught undergraduate engineering courses at Drexel University as an adjunct faculty. He is published over 30 well-cited journal and conference papers.
Dr Namilae’s specialization is in the areas of solid mechanics and materials science. His current research interests are in computational modeling of active particles, aerospace composites and nanocomposites.
Our research group Website http://pages.erau.edu/~namilaes/
Below is the google scholar link to Dr. Namilae’s publications
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, Florida State University
- AE 421: Aircraft Detail Design
- AE 699: Special Topics in A/Space Engr
- AE 700: Thesis
- AE 316HON: Aero Engineering Materials
- AE 800: Dissertation
AE 316 Aerospace Engineering Materials
AE 421 Aircraft Detailed design
AE595u Engineering Materials Selection
- S. Namilae and P. Minguet, Study of fracture process zone characteristics using cohesive zone models, Boeing Technical Journal (2013)
- S. Namilae, B Radhakrishnan, JR Morris, Atomistic simulation of the effect of Ga on crack tip opening in Al bicrystals, Modeling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 16, 0750011, (2008)
- S. Namilae, DM Nicholson, PKVV Nukala, CY Gao, YN Osetsky and DJ Keffer, Absorbing boundary conditions for molecular dynamics and multiscale modeling, Physical Review B 76, 144111 (2007)
- S. Namilae, M. Fuentes-Cabrera, B Radhakrishnan, GB Sharma and DM Nicholson, Energetics of hydrogen storage in organolithium nanostructures, Chemical Physics Letters, 436, 150, (2007)
- S. Namilae, B Radhakrishnan and GB Sharma, Atomic simulations of interfacial sliding in amorphous carbon nano-composites, Composites Science and Technology, 67, 1302, (2007)
- S. Namilae, U. Chandra, A. Srinivasan and N. Chandra, Study of interfacial behavior of carbon nanotube reinforced composites using parallel molecular dynamics simulations, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, (2007)
- S. Namilae and N. Chandra, Role of atomic scale interfaces in the compressive behavior of carbon nanotube based composites, Composite Science and Technology, 66, 2030, (2006)
- G.A. Shen, S. Namilae, and N. Chandra, Load transfer issues in tensile and compressive behavior of multiwall carbon nanotubes, Materials Science and Engineering A, 429, 66, (2006) (Featured among top 25 downloaded articles in the journal, 2006)
- S Namilae and N Chandra, Multiscale model to study the effect of interfaces in carbon nanotube based composites, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 127, 222, (2005). (Featured among top 10 downloaded articles in the journal, 2006, 2007 & 2008)
- S Namilae, N Chandra and C Shet, Mechanical Behavior of Functionalized Nanotubes, Chemical Physics Letters, 387, 247, (2004).
- N Chandra, S Namilae and C Shet, Local Elastic Properties of Carbon nanotubes in Presence of Stone-Walls Defects, Physical Review B, 69, 094101, (2004)
- N Chandra and S Namilae, Tensile and compressive behavior of carbon nanotubes: Effect of functionalization and topological defects, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 13, 115 (2006)
- C Shet, N Chandra and S Namilae, Defect-defect interaction in carbon nanotubes under mechanical loading, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures 12, 55, (2005)
- C Shet, N Chandra and S Namilae, Defect annihilations in carbon nanotubes under thermomechanical loading, Journal of Materials Science. 40, 27, (2005)
- J Kohle, U Chandra, S Namilae, A Srinivasan and N Chandra, Parallel simulation of Carbon Nanotube based composites, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3296, 211 (2004)
- N Chandra and S Namilae, Multi-Scale Modeling of Nanocrystalline Materials Material Science Forum, 427-429, 273 (2003).
- S Namilae, N Chandra and T G Nieh, Atomistic simulation of grain boundary sliding in pure and magnesium doped aluminum bicrystals, Scripta Materialia, 46, 49, (2002).
- S Namilae, N Chandra and T G Nieh, Atomistic simulation of effect of trace elements on grain boundaries of aluminum, Material Science Forum, 357-359, 387, (2001).
2004 – 2005 Research Associate and Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fl
2005 – 2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, Computer Science and mathematics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
2008 – 2014 Technical Lead Engineer, The Boeing Company, Ridley Park, PA
2013 - 2014 Adjunct Faculty, Drexel University
2014 – Present Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
1998 - 2000 Ministry of Human Resources Development Scholarship for Graduate Studies
2006, 2007 & 2008 Featured – Top 10 downloaded articles. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology.
2006 Featured – Top 25 downloaded articles. Composites Science and Technology
2011 – 2014 Associate Editor, Boeing Technical Journal