Dr. Yi Zhao joined the Aerospace Engineering Department at Embry-Riddle in 2002. Prior to joining ERAU, Dr. Zhao was an assistant professor at the Michigan Technological University and a research assistant professor at Louisiana State University. During his tenure at Embry-Riddle, Dr. Zhao served as associate chair of the Aerospace Engineering Department, coordinator of Aerospace Engineering’s master and doctoral programs. Dr. Zhao has authored or co-authored over 70 referred articles in the area of mechanics of composite materials.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University System : Baton Rouge
- M.S. - Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University System : Baton Rouge
ES202 Solid Mechanics
AE304 Aircraft Structures I
AE404 Aircraft Structures II
AE409 Aircraft Composite Structures
AE522 Advanced Composite Materials
AE695B Theory of Elasticity
- Yu, C., Kim, D. and Zhao, Y., “Lift and Thrust Characteristics of Flapping Wing Aerial Vehicle with Pitching and Flapping Motion,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, v.2, No. 12, pp. 1031-1038, December (2014).
- Yu, C. , Kim, D. and Zhao, Y., “Stress Analysis of Membrane Flapping-Wing Aerial Vehicle Based on Different Material Models,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, v. 2, No. 1, pp. 1023-1030, December (2014).
- E. Hill, M. Dorfman and Y. Zhao, “Ultimate Load Prediction in Fiberglass/Epoxy Beams from Acoustic Emission Data Using Neural Network and Statistical Analyses,” Materials Evaluation, Vol. 71, No. 8, pp. 977-986, August (2013).
- Q. Liu and Y. Zhao, “Effect of Soft Honeycomb Core on Flexural Vibration of Sandwich Panel Using Low and High Order Shear Deformation Models,” Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 95-108, January (2007).
- Q. Liu and Y. Zhao, “Natural Frequency Analysis of A Sandwich Panel with Soft Core Based on A Refined Shear Deformation Model,” Journal of Composite Structures, Vol. 72, No. 3, pp. 364-374, March (2006).
- Q. Liu and Y. Zhao, “Role of Anisotropic Core in Vibrational Properties of Honeycomb Sandwich Panels,” Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 23-32, January (2002).
- Q. Liu and Y. Zhao, “Prediction of Natural Frequencies of Vibration for a Sandwich Panel Using Thick Plate Theory,” Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 289-309, October (2001).
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.S. Pang, “Micromechanical Modeling of Polymer Modified Asphalt at Low Temperature," Journal of Elastomers and Plastics, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 283-301, October (2000).
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.S. Pang, “Analytical Modeling of Particle Size and Cluster Effects on Particulate-Filled Composite,” Materials Science and Engineering, A271, Nos. 1-2, pp. 43-52 (1999).
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.S. Pang, “Four-phase Sphere Modeling of Effective Bulk Modulus of Concrete,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 839-845 (1999).
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, S.S. Pang, and Yongqi Li, “Effective Young’s Modulus Estimation of Concrete,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 29, No. 9, pp.1455-1462 (1999).
- G. Li, S.S. Pang, Y. Zhao, and S.I. Ibekwe, “Local Buckling Analysis of Composite Laminate with Large Delaminations Induced by Low Velocity Impact,” Polymer Composites, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 634-642, October (1999). Also presented in ASME Energy Sources Conference & Exhibition, Paper No. ETCE99-6608, Houston, Texas, January 1999.
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.S. Pang, “Experimental Study of Cement-Asphalt Emulsion Composite,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp.635-641 (1998). Also published in Transportation Research Record, No. 1652, Vol. 1, pp. 210-214 (1999).
- G. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.S. Pang, “A Three-Layer Built-in Analytical Model of Concrete,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 1057-1070 (1998).
- C. Yang, S.S. Pang, and Y. Zhao, "Buckling Analysis of Thick-Wall Composite Pipe Under External Pressure," Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 31, No. 4 (1997).
- Y. Zhao, S.S. Pang, and C. Yang, "Correlation of Tensile and Bending Strength of Composites with a Circular Hole," ASME Trans - Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 118, No. 4 (1996).
- S.S. Pang, C. Yang, and Y. Zhao, "Impact Response of Single-Lap Composite Joints," Composites Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 8, pp. 1011-1027 (1995).
- R.A. Mirshams, Y. Zhao, D.I. Sims, S.S. Pang, C. Yang, and H.P. Mohamadian, "Involvement of Undergraduate Students in Determining Thermal Expansion Coefficients for High-Temperature Alloys," Journal of Materials Education, Vol. 16, Nos. 5&6 (1995).
- Y. Zhao and S.S. Pang, "Stress-Strain and Failure Analysis of Composite Laminated Pipe under Torsion," ASME Trans - Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 117, No. 3, pp. 273-278, (1995).
- Y. Zhao, A.K. Tripathy, and S.S. Pang, "Bending Strength of Composite Laminates With an Elliptical Hole," Polymer Composites, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 60-69 (1995).
- Y. Zhao, S.S. Pang, and S.A. Griffin, "Force‑Indentation Study of Transversely Isotropic Composite Materials Using a Conical‑Tip Indenter," Composites Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 6, (1991).
- S.S. Pang, Y. Zhao, C. Yang, and S.A. Griffin, "Impact Response of Composite Laminates with A Hemispherical Impactor," Polymer Engineering and Science, Vol. 31, No. 20 (1991).
- Y. Zhao, J. Wang and D. Xie, "Fatigue Behavior of Circumferential Joint for Shrink-fit Vessels," Pressure Vessels Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1 (1989).