- Assistant Professor
- Alba.Chavez@erau.edu Email
- Human Factors and Behavioral Neurobiology
- College of Arts & Sciences
Office HoursMondays and Wednesdays 1:00-3:00
Areas of ExpertiseMicrobiology, Molecular Biology.
BiographyI am a Microbiologist currently focused in student research training and teaching. Research interests include environmental factors influencing bacterial biofilms (microbial communities) and genetic basis of biofilm formation. I have experience in teaching basic intro Biology lectures and advanced Microbiology and Cell Biology.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Biology, New Mexico State University-Main Campus
- M.S. - Master of Science in Biology, New Mexico State University-Main Campus
- BIO 120: Foundations of Biology I
- BIO 120L: Foundations of Biology I Lab
- BIO 121: Foundations of Biology II
- BIO 121L: Foundations of Biology II Lab
- CHM 110: General Chemistry I
- BIO 215L: Genetics Laboratory
- BIO 110: Research Methods I
General Microbiology (Bio 311)
Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms (Bio 478)
Medical Microbiology (Bio 479)
General Biology (Bio 101, Bio 120, Bio 211)
Human Biology (Bio 101)
Immunology (Bio 474)
Cell Biology (Bio 311)
Bacterial Physiology (Bio 420)
Public Health Microbiology (Bio 412)
2017-2019. Visiting Assistant Professor. (New Mexico Highlands University).
2016-2018. Visiting Assistant Professor. (New Mexico State University).
2012-2016. Postdoctoral Research Associate. (University of New Mexico).
Memberships and Credentials
American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME)
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Jan 2009 – Dec 2009: New Mexico Space Grant Consortium Fellowship
- Jan 2010 – Dec 2010: New Mexico Space Grant Consortium Fellowship
- Aug 2009 – Aug 2011: RISE for the Postdoctorate Scholarship (New Mexico State University)
- Sept 2012 – February 2017: IRACDA/ASERT Postdoctoral Fellowship and T32 Postdoctoral Fellowship (University of New Mexico)