Annette M Burden
- Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Annette.Burden@erau.edu Email
- Department of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- College of Arts & Sciences
Office Hours7:00 AM - 8 AM ET AND BY APPOINTMENT
Areas of Expertise
- All levels and areas of mathematics
- Lower level accounting
- Lower level electrical engineering
I am a retired Professor Emeritus in the Department of Math and past Interim Director of Distance Education at Youngstown State University. I am still very actively involved in teaching and serve currently as an adjunct faculty member for ERAU. I have also been an adjunct for other online colleges since 2003.
I have a Ph.D. in Mathematics with a dual concentration in Numerical Analysis and Mathematics Educational Technology.
I have served on the multimedia advisory boards for two major publishing companies: Pearson Education and McGraw-Hill and am a faculty advisor for Cengage. I am past President of one of International Society Technology in Education's ISTE's special interest groups: SIGTC for Technology Coordinators. I have also been appointed to the MAPLE Academic Advisory Board. While Interim DE Director at YSU I was appointed to serve as co-chair of Ohio’s Distance Education Advisory Group and asked to be on the Chancellor's Program Sharing Committee. I have been developing and teaching courses since 2002 and, in addition to my degrees, hold certificates in Instructional Design and Facilitation as well as Strategic Planning and Management. I am also co-author with my husband for the 10th edition of Numerical Analysis.
In my spare time, I am a competitive ballroom dancer. I compete Pro/Am at some of the largest competitions in the US and Canada with my instructors ranking in the top 3 in all American and International styles in my division.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics, Union Institute & University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Mathematics, Youngstown State University
- B.S. - Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Youngstown State University
- MATH 106: Basic Algebra & Trigonometry
- MATH 111: Pre-calculus for Aviation
Courses TaughtMATH106 – Basic Algebra & Trigonometry
MATH111 – Pre-calculus for Aviation
- Numerical Analysis Companion Website for 10th edition: Burden and Burden: Publisher: Cengage: copyright 2021 https://sites.google.com/site/numericalanalysis1burden/
- Numerical Analysis, 10th edition: Burden, Faires, and Burden: Publisher: Cengage: copyright 2016.
- Numerical Analysis Instructor’s Manual, 10th edition: Burden, Faires, and Burden: Publisher: Cengage: copyright 2016.
- Numerical Analysis Student Solution Manual, 10th edition: Burden, Faires, and Burden: Publisher: Cengage: copyright 2016.
- Numerical Analysis Companion Website: Burden and Burden: Publisher: Cengage: copyright 2016 https://sites.google.com/site/numericalanalysis1burden/
- Writing a “Differential Equations for Engineers and Mathematicians”.
Conference Proceedings Publications in Mathematics:
- Use of a Wiki and e-Portfolio to Develop Information Literacy in Online STEM Courses, 6th Annual CDL Conference Proceedings, April 2011.
- Use of a Wiki and e-Portfolio to Develop Information Literacy in Online Mathematics Courses, eTech Ohio Conference Proceedings, October 2010.
- White Paper: “Understanding the Challenges and Problems of Higher Education”, co-authors: Dr. Annette M. Burden, YSU-OEA President, HEAC Secretary: Dr. Chip Poirot, SSU-OEA President and SSU HEAC Rep.: Allyson Klutenkamper, MFA, SSU HEAC Rep. HEAC Vice Chair: published by Ohio Education Association and presented at OEA HCAC annual meeting in 2015.
- June 2012: QM Consortium Annual Meeting: “Victorious Veterans: Faculty With Successful Course Reviews”
- June 2011: ISTE 2011 Conference in Philadelphia, SIGTC Forum: "So You Want an iPad? K-20 Implications and Integration"
- April 2011: Use of a Wiki and e-Portfolio to Develop Information Literacy in Online STEM Courses, 6th Annual CDL Conference Proceedings, Peer Reviewed.
- March 1, 2011 DECC workshop Use of Google Sites, Vyew, and MindMaps as tools in Your Distance Education Course
- March 1, 2011: YSU DECC Conference at Youngstown State University, "The Use of Several Cloud Applications in Your Online Course". Topics included use of Google Sites, Vyew, and Mind Maps
- December 16, 2010: DE Boot Camp Using the QM Course Rubric and the DE Template.
- October 2010: Use of a Wiki and e-Portfolio to Develop Information Literacy in Online Mathematics Courses, eTech Ohio Conference Proceedings.
- “Relative Local, Local, Relative Global, and Global Error: What Does It All Mean?”, Annette M. Burden and Richard L. Burden
- “Are Online Learners Weekend Warriors? A Case Study” –data collection phase
- “Computation of Surfaces of B-Points For Parameter Dependent Problems”, Annette M. Burden
YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY, YOUNGSTOWN, OH
- Professor, Mathematics, Jan 1977 – May 16, 2017 (retired).Taught the following mathematics courses: Beginning Algebra Intermediate Algebra College Algebra, Survey of Mathematics, Statistical Literacy and Critical Reasoning, Trigonometry, Algebraic and Transcendental Functions, Business Calculus 1 & 2, Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Numerical Analysis online independent study
- Served as Developmental Math Coordinator for Algebra & Survey of Mathematics from 2001 – present
- Mentor all developmental math and survey of math faculty
- Provide orientation for all developmental math faculty each term
- Developed and each term update an online training course for instructors of above courses
- Set up new online Algebra and Survey of Math master courses in Blackboard as well as the master MyLabsPlus or WebAssign computer assisted instructional product
- Aligned courses to Ohio Math Standards and then subsequently to the Common Core Standards
- Aligned courses to qualify for Ohio Transfer Credit
- Update assessments for each of the courses each term
- Tutor, advise, monitor, and mentor all learners in the above listed sections (30 – 40 sections per term depending on the term)
- Prepare annual reports for developmental math and survey of math
- Developed over 50 e-learning modules and course multimedia for use in online developmental mathematics and online survey of mathematics.
- Mentor all developmental math and survey of math faculty
President of YSU OEA Union May 2012 – May 16, 2017 (retired). Basic duties: presides at all meetings of the Chapter and of the Executive Committee: appoints the chairpersons of all ad hoc committees, assigns the various members of the Executive Committee to serve as liaison with Chapter Committees: is a member of the Negotiating Team: is one of the Chapter’s delegates to the Representative Assemblies, and is the chief spokesperson of the Chapter.
Interim Distance Education Director Jan 2008 – May 2012. NOTE: This was a split position with half time as Distance Education Director and half time as Associate Professor of Mathematics in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics.
- Developed and implemented a Distance Education Strategic Plan, policies and procedures, to incorporate best practices in online education, and a systematic workflow process for all aspects of the Office of Distance Education.
- Developed & facilitated numerous training and professional development workshops for ninety distance education faculty each term. Workshops include but are not limited to topics such as best practices in online education, technology integration in online course development, NETS-S/NETS-T and ADA standards, organize and facilitate annual Distance Education Conference. Maintain daily DE Office functions, update and maintain the Distance Education website, and author/edit a bi-monthly DE newsletter with no staffing help due to University budgetary crisis. Supervise and assist over 90 online faculty in the development and delivery of distance education courses and curriculum.
- Obtained appropriate State Authorizations. Current authorizations in PA, LA, MA, KS, NY, NJ and TN where we had none.
- Was Institutional representative and Master Reviewer for Quality Matters course design to insure quality course development and implement a systematic timeline for all online courses to be QM certified. Have served as a Master Reviewer on 6 courses and a Peer Review on 4. Expect to have all 100 courses QM certified by end of 2012.
- Developed and maintained a 3 year budget plan & on a meager with an annual budget of $14,000. Conduct SWAT and PEST analysis to determine ongoing needs assessments to identify new markets for online programs. Other managerial and office duties that are typically expected of a director of distance education including working collaboratively with appropriate institutional, union, and community stakeholders to develop criteria for new initiatives a well as data collection and analysis.
2016-PRESENT: CENGAGE FACULTY PARTNER
2014-17: AMERICAN PUBLIC UNIVERSITY SYSTEM, CHARLES TOWN, WV
- Course build: Measurement Theory
- Taught: Intermediate Algebra, Calculus 1 & 3, Differential Equations, Measurement Theory, Mathematical Modeling, Trig
2008-2013: PEARSON FACULTY ADVOCATE
2004-17: EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE, SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY
- Course builds: Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods, Number Theory, Statistics, Logic & Proof, Complex Variables, Abstract Algebra
- Tutoring: Pre Calculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Numerical Methods, Number Theory, Statistics, Logic & Proof, Complex Variables, Abstract Algebra
Memberships and Credentials
- Board member of the Ohio State Authorization Network
- Board member of the Ohio Program Sharing Network
- Co-Chair of Ohio BIG, a 38 member state-wide consortium charged with development of recommendations for the Ohio Distance Education Strategic Plan
- (SIAM) Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- (AECT) Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- (ISTE) International Society for Technology in Education
- (NCTM) National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- (OCM) Ohio Council of Mathematics
- (AWM)Association for Women in Mathematics
- (ELA) Education Law Association
- (AMS) American Mathematical Society
- (MAA) Mathematics Association of America
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- NSF ATE: YSU Project Technology Pipeline: proposal due to be submitted by fall 2012 for $150,000-$200,000 over a 3 year period: (co-PI)
- 2011, 2007 Distinguished Professor, University Service
- 2004 Ohio Magazine’s Excellence in Education Award
- 2004 NOCHE Teaching Excellence Award
- 2003 Distinguished Professor, Teaching