- Assistant Professor, College of Business
- Doreen.McGunagle@erau.edu Email
- Department of Business Administration
- Worldwide College of Business
Areas of Expertise
SME: Corporate and Global Strategy
Develop small, medium and large organizations in the areas of leadership development, teamwork, communication, and strategic planning to develop a culture that creates a high performance organization. (Ongoing)
Dr. McGunagle is a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Corporate and International Strategy. She teaches Business Foundation, International Business and Strategy in the College of Business. Her research on integrated management explores how sustainability can create value for any organization. Integrated management allows organizations to measure their actions that are aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The term sustainability as used above relates to the business being able to survive/sustain; not just sustainability in the environmentally friendly sense. Integrating sustainability into business strategy and management practices allows organizations to consider the relationships between environmental, social, governance, and financial performance when making decisions.
Dr. McGunagle has a PhD in Organization and Management with a Specialization in International Business. Prior to her time at Embry-Riddle Worldwide, she has worked as a consultant to organizations to assist with organizational culture and strategy planning. She is passionate about teaching her students Business Acumen so that they meet the demands of the global economy utilizing workforce skills such as critical thinking, team collaboration, time management and decision making.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Organization and Mgmt/International Business, Capella University
- M.B.A. - Master of Business Administration in Business Administration, Nova Southeastern University
- B.B.A. - Bachelor of Business Administration in Week-End Management, Florida Atlantic University
Ratings and Certificates
- MBAA 635: Business Policy & Decision Mkg
- MBAA 604: Int'l Business Administration
Current list of classes is MBAA635 Strategy Capstone, MBAA604 International Business
- Meeting Real World Demands of the Global Economy: An Employer's Perspective Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research (2018)
- The Universality of Communication: Preparing the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals National Training Aircraft Symposium (NTAS) (1)
- The Airport Industry and Community Engagement: An Airport Social Responsibility (ASR) Model Publications (1)
- STEM and Sustainability: Creating Aviation Professional Change Agents Publications (1)
- Employability Skills for 21st Century STEM Students: The Employers\u2019 Perspective Publications (1)
Publications: Peer – Reviewed Journal Articles
McGunagle, D., Zizka, L., Clark, P., & Essary, M. (2020) Airline Overbooking: Customer (dis)satisfaction and Communication Challenges. SAGE Business Cases Online ISBN: 9781529722420 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781529722420.
McGunagle, D, Zizka, L. & Clark, P. (2018) Sustainability in STEM Higher Education: It Takes an Institution to Make Social Change. The Journal of Higher Education Theory and Practice, 18(7).
McGunagle, D. & Zizka, L. (2018) Meeting Real World Demands of the Global Economy: An Employer's Perspective. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research, 27(2).
McGunagle, D.M., Button, D.K. & Zizka, L. (2016) The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Corporate Reputation. i-Manager’s Journal of Management, 10(4), 37-44.
McGunagle, D.M. (2016) Meeting Real Work Demands of the Global Economy. I-Manager’s Journal of Management, 10(3), 36-41.
McGunagle, D. M. and Button, D.K. (2014) Communicating Corporate Social Responsibility to Maximize Business Profits. Journal of Strategic and International Studies, 9(5).
Miller, W., Khan, L., Lynn, V. and McGunagle, D. (2007) Practical guide for facilitating online courses. Academic Quarterly Review, Winter, 11(4) ISBN: 1096-1453.
McGunagle, D.M. (2007) Corporate Governance in China. The Business Review, 8(1), 52-60. ISSN: 1553-5827.
McGunagle, D.M. (2006) Case study: Impact of economic reforms in China. The Business Review, 6(1), 100-107. ISSN: 1553-582.
Research in Progress
Clark, McGunagle, Zizka (2020) The Universality of Communication: Preparing the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals. National Training Aircraft Symposium (NTAS), March 2-4, 2020, Daytona Beach, Fl.
McGunagle, Zizka (2020) Employability competencies for the 21st century STEM workplace. Journal of Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning (impact factor .85, Q3), Revisions submitted.
Zizka, L., McGunagle, D. & Clark, P. (2020) Teaching Sustainability in STEM classroom. Journal of Cleaner Production (impact factor 5.651, Q1), Revisions submitted.
Proceedings and Conferences: Connected to Current Trends in Business and Education
McGunagle, D. & Zizka, L. & Clark, P. (2019) The Airport Industry and Community Engagement: An Airport Social Responsibility (ASR) Model. Approved for British Academy of Management Conference, Birmingham, UK, September 7-9, 2019.
Zizka, L. & McGunagle, D. (2019) Reflective Learning: Developing Critical Reflective Thinking in STEM MBA Students. Global Conference on Education & Research, Sarasota, FL, May 21-24, 2019.
Zizka, L., McGunagle, D. & Clark, P. (2019) Sustainability Collection – Teaching Sustainability in STEM Classrooms. Fifteenth International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic & Social Sustainability, Vancouver, BC., January 17-19. 2019.
Zizka, L., McGunagle, D. & Clark, P. (2018) Sustainability in STEM higher education: It takes an Institution to make social change. British Academy of Management, The University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom, September 4 – 6, 2018.
McGunagle, D.M. & Zizka, L. (2017) Meeting Real World Demands of the Global Economy: An Employer’s Perspective. Accepted for presentation at the International Academic Conference on Business, Clute Institute, San Diego, CA., March 12-16,2017.
McGunagle, D.M. & Zizka, L. (2016) Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Financial Performance. International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethic & Sustainable Business, Bocconi University Milan, Italy, October 6-7, 2016.
McGunagle, D.M., Button, D.K. & Zizka, L. (2015) The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Corporate Reputation. Eurasian Business Economic Society Conference, Venice International University Venice, Italy, October 17-19, 2015.
McGunagle, D.M. & Button, D.K. (2014) Communicating Corporate Social Responsibility to Maximize Business Profits. Institute of Strategic and International Studies International Multidisciplinary Academic Conference. Orlando, FL. August 21st – 23rd, 2014.
McGunagle, D.M. & Skiba, E. (2011) Small Change Creates Radical Continual Change. Academic Forum, University at Sea, December 5 – 9, 2011.
McGunagle, D.M. (2007) Corporate governance in China. Global Business & Finance Research. Conference, London, July.11-14th, 2007.
McGunagle, D.M. (2007) Impact of Outsourcing on the United States. Society for Advancement of Management International Business Conference, Las Vegas, March 25-28th, 2007. Additionally, served as a Chair for one session and a Discussant on three papers.
McGunagle, D.M. (2006) Case Study: Impact of Economic Reforms in China. Economic and International Business Research Conference, Miami, December 15th, 2006.
Publications: Peer – Books, Chapters
Clark, P., McGunagle, D. & Zizka, L. (In Press) STEM and Sustainability: Creating Aviation Professional Change Agents. In Kearns, S., Mavin, T.J. & S. Hodge (Eds.) Engaging the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals. Abington, UK. Routledge.
McGunagle, D.M. (2011) Good Boss-Bad Boss: Lessons from Effective and Not-So Effective Managers. ISBN-13: 978-1460948255 Available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, and Germany.
McGunagle, D.M. (2007) The Chinese Auto Industry: Taming the Dragon. Saarbrucken, Germany: VDM Publishing House. ISBN-10: 3836416328 ISBN-13: 978-3836416320 Available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, and China
Miller, W., Khan, L., Lynn, V. and McGunagle, D. (2008) Practical guide for facilitating online courses Chapter in Sound Instruction Ready to Use Classroom Practice Volume II, Publisher: Academic Quarterly ISBN 0-970985-1-2
Assistant Professor — Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (2008 - present)
SME: Corporate and Global Strategy
- Course Developer/Monitor 6 active courses
- Taught core classes in all modalities for MBA program – Strategy Capstone, International Business, Organizational Behavior, Strategic Marketing
- Course monitor and development of courses within discipline, curriculum mapping, clearing of faculty for courses, integrity violations, mentoring faculty, developing rubrics
- Course redevelopments – Small Business Management, International Business, International Business Administration
- Supported COIN program by increasing exposure in College of Business
- College of Business, Department of Business Administration representative to Faculty Senate
- Serve on thesis committees for Master of Science in Management program
- Serve as Mentee to faculty member
- Serve on MicaPlex Incubator Evaluation Committee (2017 – present)
- Serve on ACBSP Compliance Team (2017 – present)
- Serve on Faculty Promotion Committee, Chair (2016)
- Served on Worldwide Tiger Team, Marketing (2016)
- Director of Academics for Miami and Fort Lauderdale campuses responsible for 35 faculty from 2012-2013
Memberships and Credentials
CITI Course in Protection of Human Subject (2005), University of Miami, Research Education, Groups 1 & 3
Organizational and Team Culture (OTCI) and Pearson Marr Archetype (PMAI) Indicator Instrument (2007), Center for Applications of Psychological Type
Memberships (Past and Present)
- Member, Airport Cooperative Research Program (2018 – present)
- Member, British Academy of Management (2017 – present)
- Member, Southern Management Association (2017 – present)
- Member, Grant Training Center (2017 – present)
- Member, Academy of Management (2017 – present)
- Member, Eurasian Business and Economic Society, (2015 – present)
- Member, Council on Undergraduate Research (2013 – present)
- Member, South Management Association, (2014-present)
- Member, Florida Association Post-Secondary Schools & Colleges (2010-2013)
- Member, Leadership Palm Beach County (2008-present)
- District Officer, Toastmasters International (2006-2010)
- Member, American Society of Training and Development (2007-2008)
- Member, Executive Women of the Palm Beaches (2007-2008)
- Member, Organizational Development Network (2007-2008)
- Member, Academy of International Business (2006-2008)
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Awards & Grants
- Dr. Clark and Dr. McGunagle were awarded a grant from the College of Aeronautics for the research project - Corporate Reputation: Exploring U.S. and Global Airlines Reputation.
- Dr. McGunagle was the recipient of the Faculty Research Development Grant FT19 for her joint research project Corporate Reputation: Exploring U.S. and Global Airlines Reputation.
- Dr. McGunagle was awarded the College of Business Faculty of the Year Award FT19.
- Dr. McGunagle was awarded the Department of Business Administration, College of Business Service & Teach Award FT19.
- Dr. McGunagle was the recipient of the Faculty Research Development Grant FT17 for her joint research project. Meeting Real World Demands of the Global Economy: An Employer’s Perspective.
- Dr. McGunagle was the recipient of the Faculty Research Development Grant FT16 for her joint research project. The impact of corporate social responsibility communication on corporate reputation.
- Research Fellow (2015) Center for Workforce Diversity, University of Phoenix.
- Leadership Palm Beach County (June 2009) Program is the catalyst for access, issues & influence in shaping the future of Palm Beach County. This is an interactive development experience that prepares participants for more active leadership roles in the county.
- Leadership Excellence Award (2009), Advanced Communicator Bronze (2009), Advanced Leadership Bronze (2009), Competent Leader (2009), Competent Communicator (2008) Toastmasters International.
- Leadership West Palm Beach (2008) Chamber of Palm Beaches.