- Assistant Professor of Aerospace Engineering
- Ebenezer@erau.edu Email
- Aerospace Engineering Department
- Daytona College of Engineering
Dr. Ebenezer P. Gnanamanickam obtained his MS and PhD in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Purdue University in December 2003 and May 2010, respectively.
Following his doctorate, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Purdue University from 2010-2012. From September 2012-July 2013, he was a post doctoral fellow at the University of Melbourne, Mechanical Engineering, Australia.
In the Spring of 2016 Ebenezer won a grant under the Air Force Office of Scientific Research's (AFOSR) Young Investigator Research Program. His current funding sources include ARO/ONR through the Penn state Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence (VLRCOE), an ONR DURIP and an accelerated research initiative (ARI) grant.
His research focuses on understanding wall turbulence, controlling it, applied aerodynamics and measurement techniques
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Aeronautics & Astronautics, Purdue University System : Purdue University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Aeronautics & Astronautics, Purdue University System : Purdue University
- AE 800: Dissertation
- AE 307: Incompressible Aerodynamics
Selected Journal Articles
- Bhatt S., Gnanamanickam E. P., “Linear and non-linear mechanisms within a forced plane wall jet” Physical Review Fluids, 2020 (accepted).
- Gnanamanickam E. P., Bhatt S., Artham S. K. & Zhang Z., “Large-scale motions in a plane wall jet” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 877, 239-281, 2019.
- Zhang Z., Seth D., Artham S. K., Leishman J. G., & Gnanamanickam, E. P., “Time-Resolved Flowfield Measurements of Momentum-Driven Pulsed Transient Jets” AIAA Journal, 56 no. 4, 1434-1446, 2018.
- de Silva C., Gnanamanickam E. P., Atkinson C., Buchmann N., Hutchins N., Soria J., & Marusic I., “High spatial range velocity measurements in a high Reynolds number turbulent boundary layer”, Physics of Fluids, 26(025117), 2014.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., Nottebrock B., Groβe S., Sullivan J. P., & Schroder W., “Measurement of turbulent wall shear-stress using micro-pillars”, Measurement Science and Technology, 24(12), 2013, (invited special edition).
- Gnanamanickam E. P. & Sullivan J. P., “Manufacture of high aspect ratio micro-pillar wall shear stress sensor arrays”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2(12), 2012, 125015, (chosen as an IOPselect article - IOPSelect is a special collection of journal articles, chosen by the Editors based on one or more of the following criteria: substantial advances or significant breakthroughs, a high degree of novelty or a significant impact on future research).
- Murthy T. J., Gnanamanickam E. P. & Chandrasekar S., “Transient deformation field in indentation of a granular ensemble”, Physical Review E, 85(6), 2012.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., Bhatt S., Artham S., & Zhang Z., "Energy Transfer Pathways in Non-Canonical Wall Turbulence", University of Central Florida, MAE Seminar Series, Feb. 2019.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., Bhatt S., Artham S., & Zhang Z., "Turbulence Control by Targeting the Large-Scale Motions Within Boundary Layers", FlowPAC Seminar, University of Notre Dame, Mar. 2017.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., “Wall shear-Stress Measurements in Fluid Flows”, Biomedical Engineering Seminar, Georgia Institute of Technology, Oct 2014.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., “Wall shear-Stress Measurements in Fluid Flows”, FlowPAC Seminar, University of Notre Dame, Apr 2014.
- Gnanamanickam E. P., Hutchins N., Monty J., Sullivan J. P., “Wall shear-Stress Measurement with Micro-Pillars”, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition 2014: 52nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, National Harbor, Maryland, Jan 2014.
Selected Conferences and Proceedings
- Gnanamanickam, E. P., Bhatt S., Artham S., "Energy Transfer Within A Perturbed Plane Wall Jet", 11th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, 2019, July-Aug 2019.
- Bhatt S., Artham S., & Gnanamanickam E. P., "Evidence of an Inverse Cascade in a Plane Wall Jet Through Large-Scale Forcing", Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Nov 2018.
- Bhatt S., Artham S., & Gnanamanickam E. P., "Skin Friction Reduction Through Large-Scale Forcing", Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Nov 2017.
- Zhang Z., Artham S., Leishman J. G., & Gnanamanickam E. P., "Time-Resolved Flow Field Measurements of Momentum Driven Pulsed, Transient Jets", AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition 2014: 55th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Grapevine, Texas, Jan 2017.
- Raghav V., Gnanamanickam E. P., & Yoganathan A., "Measurement of Pulsatile Wall Shear Stress Using Micro Sensors", 8th International Biouids symposium, CalTech, Pasadena, CA, Feb 2016.
- Gnanamanickam, E., Sullivan, J. P., Monty, J., Hutchins, N., Tracking techniques for wall shear stress measurements using micro-pillars. 11th International Symposium for Particle Image Velocimetry, Santa Barbara, 2015.
- Kazakidi, A., Gnanamanickam, E. P., Tsakiris, D. P., & Ekaterinaris, J. A., A flow visualization study of single-arm sculling movement emulating cephalopod thrust generation. Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 59, 2014.
- Nugroho B., Gnanamanickam E. P., Kevin K., Monty J., & Hutchins N., “Roll-modes generated in boundary layers with passive surface modifications”, AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition 2014: 52nd Aerospace Sciences Meeting, National Harbor, Maryland, 2014.
- Guo Y., Gnanamanickam E. P., Sundaram., Efe ., Murthy T. G., Saldana C. & Chandrasekar S., “ Visualization of material flow in machining and sliding indentation processes”, SEM XII International Congress & Exposition on Experimental & Applied Mechanics, 2012.
- Gnanamanickam E.P., Huang C., Murthy T. G., Sullivan J.P. & Chandrasekar S., “In Situ Measurement of Deformation and Temperature in Machining”, Proceedings of 11th CIRP conference on modeling of machining operations, San Sebastian, Spain, 2009.
- Gnanamanickam E. P. & Sullivan J.P., “Image based sensor for distributed wall shear stress measurement”, 46th Annual AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Reno, USA, 2008.
- Gnanamanickam E.P., Lee S., Sullivan J.P. & Chandrasekar S., “Direct measurement of large-strain deformation field in machining”, Proceedings of the SEM Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, pp. 1080-1087, 2007.
- Gregory, J. W., Gnanamanickam E. P., Sullivan J. P. & Raghu S.,“Variable-frequency fluidic oscillator driven by piezoelectric devices”, 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit - Meeting Papers, pp. 14969-14980, 2005.
- Gnanamanickam, E. P., Sullivan J. P., & Brosch J., “Temperature Dependence of a Piezoelectric Sensor” Proceedings of IEEE - UFFC 50th Annual Joint Conference, 2004 (paper not submitted - presentation only).
- Gnanamanickam E.P., Sullivan J.P. & Shelley W.F. II, “Material properties of piezoceramics at elevated temperatures”, Proceedings of the SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 5387,(1), pp. 421-31, 2004.
- Sep 2013 - present - Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering Department, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL, USA
- Sep 2012 - Jul 2013 - Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Aug 2010 - Jul 2012 - Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, US
Memberships and CredentialsAmerican Institute of Astronautics and Aeronautics, American Physical Society
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Undergraduate University Rank, 2001
Magoon teaching award, College of Engineering, Purdue University, 2010
Teaching award, Center for Instructional Excellence, Purdue University, 2010
Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Research Program, 2016