- Associate Professor
- Elizabeth.Lazzara@erau.edu Email
- Human Factors and Behavioral Neurobiology
- College of Arts & Sciences
Office HoursCOAS 401.13 (By Appointment)
Areas of Expertise
Human and Team Performance
The views expressed on faculty and external web pages are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
BiographyI am an Associate Professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Currently, I co-lead the Research, Engineering, and Applied Collaboration in Healthcare (REACH). Previously, I was dual appointed at University of Kansas School of Medicine and Wichita State University. Although I have had extensive experiences in military, academic, and commercial settings, my primary interests lie within improving the quality of patient care within the healthcare domain. I strive to make a long lasting and significant impact by examining and advancing the science and practice of clinical care and patient safety issues pertaining to human performance, teamwork, team training, and simulation-based training, and performance measurement.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology: Human Factors Psychology, University of Central Florida
- M.A. - Master of Arts in Applied Experimental and Human Factors: Psychology, University of Central Florida
- PSY 315: Cognitive Psychology
- HFS 614: Human Factors in Medicine
- HFS 699: Spec Topics in HF & Systems
HF 302 Human Factors II
HF 520 Team Performance
HF 612 Human Factors Methods
HF 695 Human Factors in Medicine
PSY 315 Cognitive Psychology
- Cohen, T. N., Griggs, A. C., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., Doherty, S. M., Kanji, F. F., & Gewertz, B. (2020). Using escape rooms for teams research: Development, considerations, and challenges. Simulation and Gaming.
- Doorey, A. J., Turi, Z. G., Lazzara, E. H., Mendoza, E. G., Garratt, K. N., & Weintraub, W. S. (2020). Safety gabs in medical team communication: Results of quality improvement efforts in a cardiac catheterization lab. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, 95, 136-144.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R., Simonson, R., Lane-Fall, M. B., & Argarwala, A. (2020). Navigating the challenges of performing anesthesia handoffs and conducting anesthesia handoff research. International Anesthesiology Clinics, 58(1), 32-37.
- Benishek, L. E., & Lazzara, E. H. (2019). Teams in a new era: Some considerations and implications. Frontiers in Psychology, 10(1006), 1-15.
- Chaparro, A., Lazzara, E. H., Diamond, A., & Keebler, J. R. (2019). Checklists: A review of their origins, benefits, and current uses as a cognitive aid in medicine. Ergonomics in Design, 1-6.
- Fernandez, R., Rosenman, E., Brolliar, S., Chipman, S, Kalynch, C., Vrablik, M.,…Lazzara, E. H. (2019). An event-based approach to measurement: Facilitating measurement in high variable clinical settings. Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training, 1-7.
- Gregory, M. E., Hughes, A. M., Benishek, L. E., Sonesh, S., Lazzara, E. H., Woodard, L. D.,…Salas, E. (2019). Toward the development of the perfect medical team: Critical components for adaptation. Journal of Patient Safety. Advanced online version.
- Guttman, O., Daniel, W., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., & Reed, G. (2019). Rethinking high reliability in healthcare: The role of error management theory in high reliability organizing. Journal of Patient safety and Risk Management, 1-7.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R.., Shuffler, M L., Patzer, B., Smith, D. C., & Misasi, P. (2019). Considerations for multiteam systems in Emergency Medical Services. Journal of Patient Safety, 15(2), 150-153.
- Gisick, L M., Webster, K. L W., Keebler, J.R., Lazzara, E. H., Fouquet, S., Fletcher, K., … Chan, Y. R. (2018). Measuring shared mental models in the healthcare setting. Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management, 23(5), 207-219.
Professional ExperienceResearch Assistant Professor - University of Kansas School of Medicine and Wichita State University
Memberships and Credentials
American Society for Clinical Oncology
Association for Psychological Science
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Society for Industrial/Organizational Society
Society of Psychologists in Management
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Association for Psychological Science - 2017 Rising Star
Leadership Quarterly - 2007 Most Cited Paper