- Associate Professor
- Elizabeth.Lazzara@erau.edu Email
- Human Factors and Behavioral Neurobiology
- College of Arts & Sciences
Office HoursCOAS 401.13 (By Appointment)
Areas of Expertise
Human and Team Performance
BiographyI am an Associate Professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Currently, I co-lead the Research, Engineering, and Applied Collaboration in Healthcare (REACH). Previously, I was dual appointed at University of Kansas School of Medicine and Wichita State University. Although I have had extensive experiences in military, academic, and commercial settings, my primary interests lie within improving the quality of patient care within the healthcare domain. I strive to make a long lasting and significant impact by examining and advancing the science and practice of clinical care and patient safety issues pertaining to human performance, teamwork, team training, and simulation-based training, and performance measurement.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology: Human Factors Psychology, University of Central Florida
- M.A. - Master of Arts in Applied Experimental and Human Factors: Psychology, University of Central Florida
- PSY 315: Cognitive Psychology
- HF 302: Human Factors II: Mthds & Tech
- PSY 345: Training and Development
HF 302 Human Factors II
HF 520 Team Performance
HF 612 Human Factors Methods
HF 695 Human Factors in Medicine
PSY 315 Cognitive Psychology
- Cohen, T. N., Griggs, A. C., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., Doherty, S. M., Kanji, F. F., & Gewertz, B. (2020). Using escape rooms for teams research: Development, considerations, and challenges. Simulation and Gaming.
- Doorey, A. J., Turi, Z. G., Lazzara, E. H., Mendoza, E. G., Garratt, K. N., & Weintraub, W. S. (2020). Safety gabs in medical team communication: Results of quality improvement efforts in a cardiac catheterization lab. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, 95, 136-144.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R., Simonson, R., Lane-Fall, M. B., & Argarwala, A. (2020). Navigating the challenges of performing anesthesia handoffs and conducting anesthesia handoff research. International Anesthesiology Clinics, 58(1), 32-37.
- Benishek, L. E., & Lazzara, E. H. (2019). Teams in a new era: Some considerations and implications. Frontiers in Psychology, 10(1006), 1-15.
- Chaparro, A., Lazzara, E. H., Diamond, A., & Keebler, J. R. (2019). Checklists: A review of their origins, benefits, and current uses as a cognitive aid in medicine. Ergonomics in Design, 1-6.
- Fernandez, R., Rosenman, E., Brolliar, S., Chipman, S, Kalynch, C., Vrablik, M.,…Lazzara, E. H. (2019). An event-based approach to measurement: Facilitating measurement in high variable clinical settings. Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training, 1-7.
- Gregory, M. E., Hughes, A. M., Benishek, L. E., Sonesh, S., Lazzara, E. H., Woodard, L. D.,…Salas, E. (2019). Toward the development of the perfect medical team: Critical components for adaptation. Journal of Patient Safety. Advanced online version.
- Guttman, O., Daniel, W., Keebler, J. R., Lazzara, E. H., & Reed, G. (2019). Rethinking high reliability in healthcare: The role of error management theory in high reliability organizing. Journal of Patient safety and Risk Management, 1-7.
- Lazzara, E. H., Keebler, J. R.., Shuffler, M L., Patzer, B., Smith, D. C., & Misasi, P. (2019). Considerations for multiteam systems in Emergency Medical Services. Journal of Patient Safety, 15(2), 150-153.
- Gisick, L M., Webster, K. L W., Keebler, J.R., Lazzara, E. H., Fouquet, S., Fletcher, K., … Chan, Y. R. (2018). Measuring shared mental models in the healthcare setting. Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management, 23(5), 207-219.
Professional ExperienceResearch Assistant Professor - University of Kansas School of Medicine and Wichita State University
Memberships and Credentials
American Society for Clinical Oncology
Association for Psychological Science
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Society for Industrial/Organizational Society
Society of Psychologists in Management
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Association for Psychological Science - 2017 Rising Star
Leadership Quarterly - 2007 Most Cited Paper