- Assistant Professor
- Ghada.Ellithy@erau.edu Email
- Civil Engineering Department
- College of Engineering
Dr. Ghada Ellithy is an Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering. Previously, she was a Senior Research Civil Engineer at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Engineer Research and Development Center, a Geotechnical Engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Senior Principal Engineer with Shannon & Wilson. She has also served as Sustainability Chair of the Puget Sound Professional Chapter of Engineers Without Borders (2012-2013) and President of the Seattle Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (2011-2012).
Dr. Ellithy’s research interests include soil improvement using microbial-induced calcite precipitation (or MICP), soil erodibility, unsaturated soil mechanics, seepage and slope stability analysis of dams and levees, deep foundations, geosynthetics and pavement design, and seismic and liquefaction analysis.
Dr. Ellithy is a registered Professional Engineer in the state of Washington, as well as a member of the following organizations: the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Engineers Without Borders (EWB), the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) and the United States Society on Dams (USSD). In 2013, she was recognized as Engineer of the Year by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Seattle district. She was also named a Technology All-Star by Career Communications Group's Women of Color magazine in 2016.
Dr. Ellithy holds a Ph.D. in Geo-Environmental Engineering from West Virginia University.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering, West Virginia University
Ratings and Certificates
- Ellithy, G., Parida, S.S., 2022. “Using Machine Learning in Estimating Changing Bed Shear Over a Flume Test Box.” GeoCongress Proceedings, Charlotte, NC.
- Rivera-Hernandez, X., Vahedifard, F., Ellithy, G., 2021. “Effect of Suction and Confining Pressure on Shear Strength and Dilatancy of Highly Compacted Silty Sand: Single Stage Versus Multistage Triaxial Testing.” ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 10.1520/ GTJ 20190437
- Ellithy, G., Stark, T. 2020. Case Study: unsaturated embankment failure on soft soils. J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 146(12): 05020011
- Ellithy, G., Wibowo, J.L., Corcoran, M.K. 2018. “Erosion Rate Equations for Coarse- Grained Materials Using a Small Flume Testing,” of the 9th International Scour and Erosion (ICSE 2018), Taipei, Taiwan, November 5 – 8, 2018, 113. London, UK: CRC Press/Balkema.
- Schultz, M.t., Tracy, F.T., Ellithy, G., Harrelson, D.W., Ryder, J.I., Corcoran, M.K.2018. “Characterizing earthen levee reliability from uncertainty analysis of geotechnical simulation models,” USSD 2018 Conf Proceedings, Miami April/May.
- Ellithy, G., Vahedifard, F., Rivera-Hernandez, X. 2017. “Accuracy Assessment of Predictive SWCC Models for Estimating the van Genuchten Model Parameters,” ASCE PanAm-Unsat, Dallas, TX. Nov 12-15
- Ellithy, G. 2017. “A spreadsheet for estimating Soil Water Characteristic Curves (SWCC).” ERDC/GSL TN-17-01. Vicksburg, MS: U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center.
- Ellithy, G., Simpson, R.C. 2016. “Vertical Load Test on a Drilled Shaft Installed in Glacially Derived Sediments,” DFI-India 2016, 6th Conf. on Deep Foundation Technologies for Infrastructure Development. Sep 8-10.