- Assistant Professor
- Hancheol.Cho@erau.edu Email
- Aerospace Engineering Department
- College of Engineering
Office HoursTue, Thu 10 - 12
Areas of ExpertiseSpacecraft formation flight, robust adaptive control, astrodynamics, nonlinear dynamics and control, stability analysis, optimization, and robotics
The views expressed on faculty and external web pages are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
Dr. Hancheol Cho is an Assistant Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Previously, he was with Samsung Techwin Co., Ltd. in South Korea as a senior research engineer and was the recipient of Marie-Curie COFUND Postdoctoral Fellowships funded by the European Commission and the University of Liege, Belgium. Also, he worked for Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico as a postdoctoral appointee. Before joining ERAU, he was an assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois.
- Ph.D. (2012), Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- M.S. (2008), Astronomy, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- B.S. (2006), Astronomy (major) and Physics (minor), Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Research interests: Spacecraft formation flight, robust adaptive control, astrodynamics, nonlinear dynamics and control, stability analysis, optimization, and robotics.
Dr. Cho has authored and co-authored more than 60 journal and conference publications on the topics. He is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Control, Automation and Electrical Systems (Springer) and a member of the IFAC Technical Committee (TC) 1.2: Adaptive and Learning Systems. Currently, he is directing the ASPROS (Autonomous SPacecraft and RObotic Systems) Lab at ERAU, where he and his students are studying autonomous adaptive control strategies for complex space systems with linear/nonlinear constraints.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California
- AE 800: Dissertation
- AE 629: Robust Control Systems
- AE 313HON: Space Mechanics
- AE 700: Thesis
- O. Mulekar, R. Bevilacqua, H. Cho, “Metric to evaluate distribution shift from behavioral cloning for fuel-optimal landing policies,” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 203, 2023, pp. 421-428.
- H. Cho, “Energy-optimal reconfiguration of satellite formation flying in the presence of uncertainties,” Advances in Space Research, Vol. 67, No. 5, 2021, pp. 1454-1467.
- H. Cho, “On adaptive PD control of robot manipulators in the presence of uncertainties,” Journal of Applied and Computational Mechanics, Vol. 6, 2020, pp. 1450-1466.
- H. Cho, F.E. Udwadia, T. Wanichanon, “Autonomous precision control of satellite formation flight under unknown time-varying model and environmental uncertainties,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 67, 2020, pp. 1470-1499.
- H. Cho, G. Kerschen, T.R. Oliveira, “Adaptive smooth control for nonlinear uncertain systems,” Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 99, 2020, pp. 2819-2833.
- H. Cho, G. Bacelli, R.G. Coe, “Model predictive control tuning by inverse matching for a wave energy converter,” Energies, Vol. 12, 2019, pp. 4158.
- H. Cho, T. Wanichanon, F.E. Udwadia, “Continuous sliding mode controllers for multi-input multi-output systems,” Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 94, 2018, pp. 2727-2747.
- T. Wanichanon, H. Cho, F.E. Udwadia, “An approach to the dynamics and control of uncertain multi-body systems,” Procedia IUTAM, Vol. 13, 2015, pp. 43-52.
- T. Wanichanon, F.E. Udwadia, H. Cho, “Formation‐keeping of uncertain satellites using nonlinear damping control,” Journal of Research and Applications in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2, 2014, pp. 20-33.
- F.E. Udwadia, T. Wanichanon, H. Cho, “Methodology for satellite formation-keeping in the presence of system uncertainties,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 37, 2014, pp. 1611-1624.
- F.E. Udwadia, H. Cho, “First integrals and solutions of Duffing-van der Pol type equations,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 81, 2014, pp. 034501.
- H. Cho, F.E. Udwadia, “Explicit control force and torque determination for satellite formation-keeping with attitude requirements,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 36, 2013, pp. 589-605.
- F.E. Udwadia, H. Cho, “Lagrangians for damped linear multi-degree-of-freedom systems,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 80, 2013, pp. 041023.
- H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, S.-M. Yoo, K.-H. Choi, “Analytical solution to optimal relocation of satellite formation flying in arbitrary elliptic orbits,” Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 25, 2013, pp. 161-176.
- H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, H. Park, K.-H. Choi, “Analytic solution to optimal reconfigurations of satellite formation flying in circular orbit under J2 perturbation,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, 2012, pp. 2180-2197.
- F.E.Udwadia, G. Leitmann, H. Cho, “Some further remarks on Hamilton’s principle,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 78, 2011, pp. 011014.
- H. Cho, F.E. Udwadia, “Explicit solution to the full nonlinear problem for satellite formation-keeping,” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 67, 2010, pp. 369-387.
- H. Cho, A. Yu, “New approach to satellite formation-keeping: exact solution to the full nonlinear problem,” Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 22, 2009, pp. 445-455.
- H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, “Analytic solution for fuel-optimal reconfiguration in relative motion,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 141, 2009, pp. 495-512.
- H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, K.-H. Choi, “Application of analytic solution in relative motion to spacecraft formation flying in elliptic orbit,” Journal of Astronomy and Space Sciences, Vol. 25, 2008, pp. 255-266.
Selected Conference Papers (recent 5 years)
- O. Mulekar, H. Cho, R. Bevilacqua, “Six-degree-of-freedom Optimal Feedback Control of Pinpoint Landing using Deep Neural Network,” In AIAA SciTech Forum and Exhibition, National Harbor, MD, January 2023.
- S. Doroba, R. Kale, D. Canales-Garcia, H. Cho, S. Eikenberry, O. Fors, J.M. Gomez, An. Richichi, “Leveraging the moon and stable libratoin point orbits around L4/L5 to observe the solar corona,” In the 33rd AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Austin, TX, January 2023.
- O. Mulekar, R. Bevilacqua, H. Cho, “Data shift metric for performance evaluation of behavioral cloning applied to the fuel-optimal landing problem,” In the 2nd Applied Intelligence and Informatics Conference, Reggio Calabria, Italy, September 2022. (Best Paper Award)
- A. Nocerino, R. Opromolla, G. Fasano, M. Grassi, H. Cho, R. Bevilacqua, “Inertia parameters estimation of uncooperative space targets using solid state LIDAR,” In the 73rd International Astronautical Congress, Paris, France, September 2022.
- S. Jeon, H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, "Robust adaptive control by nonsingular terminal sliding mode for virtual telescope," In AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Charlotte, NC, August 2022.
- H. Cho, "Sliding mode-based self-adaptive control and its application to satellite formation flying," In AIAA ASCEND, Virtual Conference, November 2021.
- S. Jeon, H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, “Robust adaptive control for attitude control of spacecraft formation flying,” In 29th AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Virtual Conference, February 2021.
- D.-E. Kang, H. Cho, S.-Y. Park, “Analytical solution of controller matching problem based on inverse LQR for spacecraft relative dynamics,” In AIAA SciTech Forum 2021, Virtual Conference, January 2021.
- H. Cho, F.E. Udwadia, “A methodology for tracking control for formation flight of satellites,” In ASME 2020 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2020), Virtual Conference, November 2020.
- H. Patel, H. Cho, M. Nazari, T.A. Henderson, “Application of Udwadia-Kalaba formulation to the planar elliptical restricted three-body problem,” In AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Virtual Conference, August 2020.
- B. Tagliafierro, A.J.C. Crespo, J.M. Dominguez, O. Garcia-Feal, M. Gomez-Gesteira, R.B. Canelas, R.G. Coe, G. Bacelli, H. Cho, S.J. Spencer, G. Viccione, "Numerical modelling of a point-absorbing WEC model using DualSPHysics coupled with a multiphysics library," In the 13th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC), Naples, Italy, September 2019.
- H. Cho, G. Bacelli, V. Nevarez, F. Wilches-Bernal, R.G. Coe, "Evaluation of predictionless control for wave energy converters," In the 13th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC), Naples, Italy, September 2019.
- H. Cho, G. Bacelli, R.G. Coe, "Advanced WEC dynamics and controls project - modeling, estimation, and controller design," In Waterpower Week in Washington, Washington, D.C. April 2019.
- H. Cho, G. Bacelli, R.G. Coe, "Linear and nonlinear system identification of a wave energy converter," In Waterpower Week in Washington, Washington, D.C. April 2018.
- Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL (August 2021 - Present)
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Bradley University, Peoria, IL (August 2019 - July 2021)
- Postdoctoral Appointee, Water Power Technologies Department, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM (December 2017 - July 2019)
- Mari-Curie COFUND Postdoctoral Fellow, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium (October 2015 - September 2017)
- Senior Research Engineer, Power Systems Division, Samsung Techwin Co., Ltd. (currently Hanwha Aerospace Co., Ltd.), Pangyo, South Korea (March 2013 - June 2015)
Memberships and Credentials
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Technical Committee (TC):
- IFAC TC 1.2 Adaptive Learning Systems
- Journal of Control, Automation and Electrical Systems (Springer)
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Best Paper Award, 2nd Applied Intelligence and Informatics Conference (AII2022), Reggio Calabria, Italy, 2022
- Faculty Innovative Research in Science and Technology (FIRST) Program Award, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, 2022
- Caterpillar Fellowship Grant, Bradley University, 2021
- Excellent Reviewer for Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (October 2015 - September 2016), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), USA, 2016
- Marie-Curie COFUND Postdoctoral Fellowship, European Commission and University of Liege, EU, 2015
- 2015-2016 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for Promotion of Science, Japan, 2015
- Brain Korea 21 Fellowship, Ministry of Science and Technology, South Korea, 2006
- National Research Lab Fellowship, Korean Science and Engineering Foundation, South Korea, 2006