- Hong.Liu@erau.edu Email
- Mathematics Department
- Daytona College of Arts & Sciences
Hong Liu was awarded Ph.D. in Mathematics and MS in Computer Science at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville in 2000. Currently, he serves as a professor in mathematics and computing at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He taught mathematics, computer science, and data science over past two decades. He served as PI and Co-PI of 14 sponsored research projects including research grants from NSF, US Air Force, and DOE, and published numerous peer-reviewed journal and proceeding articles in partial differential equations, model-checking, robotics, data science, and STEM education. Currently, Liu is working on educational data mining to improve computer-supported collaborative learning environment and enhance the problem-solving competence of adult learners.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics, University of Arkansas
- MA 615: Data Driven Modeling
- MA 544: Data Visualization
- MA 444: Scientific Visualization
Undergraduate Mathematics courses: Statistics, College Algebra, Trigonometry, all Calculus Series, Ordinary Diff. Equations, Advance Engineering Mathematics
Undergraduate Computer/Computational Science Courses, Discrete Math and Data Structure, Data Mining, Scientific Visualization (co-teach), Mathematical Modeling and simulation
Graduate Math and Computer Science Courses: Partial Differential Equations, Model-Based Verification
(co-teach), Data Mining, Data Visualization, and Graduate Research Project for Software Engineering.
 H. Liu, The Global Solutions of the Cauchy Problem of Holomorphic PDE and Schwarz Potential Conjecture, J. of Mathematical Analysis and Appl, Oct, 2000,Vol. 250, P.387–405.
 H. Liu, J. Ryan, The Cayley Transformation on spherical and Hyperbolas via Clifford
Analysis, Clifford Analysis and Its App, Nato Science Series: II, Vol 25, 2001, P.255–
 H. Liu, J. Ryan, Clifford Analysis Techniques for Spherical PDE, The Journal of
Fourier Analysis and Applications, Volume 8, Issue 6, 2002, Pages 535 – 563.
Model Checking and Application to Software Engineering
 H. Liu and D. P. Gluch, A Proposal for Introduction Model Checking into an Undergraduate Software Engineering Curriculum, The Journal of Computing Science in Colleges, Vol. 18, Num. 2, 2002, P. 259 – 270.
 H. Liu, D. P. Gluch, Conceptual Modeling with the Object-Process Methodology in
Software Architecture, The Journal of Computing Science in Colleges, Vol. 19, Num. 3,
2004, P.10– 21.
 H. Liu, D. P. Gluch, Query Generation Guidelines and Consideration to Statecharts of Object-Oriented Designs, Proceeding of the Conference of Advances in Computer Sciences and Technology sponsored by IASTED (International Association of Science and Technology For Development) 2004, page 209-214.
 H. Liu, J. E. McKisson, P. B. Piercey, Judy Chou, Yishi Li, An Empirical Solution to a Portable Device Driver for NI-DAQ-Card, Presented in Kmax Conference Sponsored by Sparrow Corp. Daytona Beach, March 2005.
 H. Liu, P. B. Piercey, J. E. McKisson, B. Maisler, Y. Li, J. McKisson, J. Schuck, An Empirical Solution to a Kmax Device Driver for a Family of PCI-VME Adapters, Proceedings of Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Technology (IASTED), 2005, p. 42-47.
 H. Liu, D. P. Gluch, Query Generation Template and Temporal Query Generation, the
Proceedings of the 44th Southeast ACM conference, 2006, page 80-84.
 B. D Maisler, H, Liu, J.E. McKisson, Yishi Li, Eric Kvam, Voronoi Diagram and its Application to Spatial Calibration for Gamma Camera Images, the Proceedings of the third International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Applications, 2008, P. 68-73.
 H. Liu, D. P. Gluch, Formal Verification of AADL Behavior Models: A Feasibility
Investigation, the Proceedings of the 47th Southeast ACM conference, 2009
 Ming Wang, Hong P. Liu, Drew Hwang, Applying Data Analytics to Development of the Web-based Information Security Career System, International Journal of Information and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 5, September 2012.
 Pu Gao, Hong P. Liu, D. P Gluch, On Modeling, Simulating and Verifying a Decentralized Mission Control Algorithm for a Fleet of Collaborative UAVs, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 9, 792-801.
Computational Science Education
 H. Liu, Mathematical Modeling and Visualization, a Preliminary Course Design for
Computational Science Curriculum, Proceeding of Frontiers in Education Conference,
 Jayathi Raghavan, Leslie Sena, David Bethelmy, Hong Liu, Problem solving experience through light-dose computational mathematical modules for Engineering students, the proceedings of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference, (Nominated as best paper awards)
 H. Liu, Offering Honors Course Option within an Ordinary Mathematical Course for Undergraduate Students in Engineering Majors, the Proc. of the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference
 Leslie Sena, Hong Liu, David G. Bethelmy, and Jayathi Raghavan, Panel Discussion: Cultivating Students' Problem Solving Ability: Developing a Framework for Computational Science Modules, the Proceedings of CCSC-SE Conference, 2008.
 Hong Liu, Jayathi Raghavan, A Mathematical Modeling Module with System Engineering Approach for Teaching Undergraduate Students to Conquer Complexity , The Proceedings of Conference ICCS 09 , Part II, LNCS5545, pp 93-102, 2009.
 Jayathi Raghavan, Hong Liu, An Innovative Undergraduate Computational Math
Curriculum for Engineering Students Seeking Dual Majors, the proc. of the 2010 ASEE Annual Conference.
 Hong P. Liu, Andrei Ludu, ACE - A Model Centered REU Program Standing on the Three Legs of CSE: Analysis, Computation and Experiment, Procedia Computer Science, Volume 9, 1773-1782.
 Hong P. Liu, Jerry Klein, Using REU Project and Crowdsourcing to Facilitate Learning on Demand, Proceeding of IADIS International Conference, 2013, Fort Worth, Texas.
1. Founded Leverage (Learning enhancement via experimentation research and guided exploration) Research Lab in 2011
2. Supervise and lead the development of the Eco-Dolphin AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle), a REU project in progress sponsored primarily by ERAU undergraduate research grants ($30,000 to date).
3. Offer SeaPerch Robotics Summer Camp to middle school students
4. Investigated and built a SBS Driver of Kmax data acquisition system for Jefferson Lab with the helps of three students in 2003-2004. This project results in three releases: KSBS Driver 1.2 for Winow-XP, KSBS Driver 1.2 for MacOS-X , KSBS Driver 2.2 for MacOS-X (Funded $7,0000 to R.B. Piercey and J.E. McKisson) http://www.sparrowcorp.com/downloads/user-area-downloads, ID12090502, Lui_KSBS-617
5. Investigated and built a device driver of Kmax data acquisition system that operates a family of NI-DIO cards for Jefferson Lab with the helps of three students 2004 – 2005.
6. Supervise students to implement a project on Gamma Camera Images Calibration for Jefferson Lab (2005 – 2006)
Memberships and CredentialsSERVICE
Advising the SIAM Student Chapter at Embry-RIddle Aeronautical University
- Mastered many software CASE/Computation tools (MATLAB, OSATE, Statemates, NuSMV, UPPAAL, Stella, OpCat, ANNIE, Weka, GATE, ParaView, etc.) and skills for math modeling, model-checking, and visualization
- Commanded many programming languages (C/C++, Java, Objective C, JNI, etc.) and developed several software packages, including real-time embedded systems.
1. Awarded 5 professional certificates in Software Testing from the summer workshops sponsored by International Institute for Software Testing in Orlando in 2001.
2. Awarded a certificate of a summer course: System Development with
UML and Object-Process Methodology from MIT in 2002.
3. Summer Workshop on Computational Geometry and Applications - DIMACS (Discrete Math and Computer Science) sponsored by NSF, University of Rutgers in 2002.
4. Awarded 4 certificates in Computational Science Education in the summer workshops of NCSI (National Computational Science Institute, or Shodor), or 2003-2004, one in 2011.
5. Awarded a certificate in Natural Language Processing and Visualization, summer workshop offered by CCICADA, a Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence, 2010.
Member of ACM, Association for Computing Machinery
Member of SIAM, Society of Industry and Applied Mathematics
Member of CUR, Council of Undergraduate Research