- Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Joel.Billings@erau.edu Email
- Security and Emergency Services
- Worldwide College of Arts & Sciences
Joel earned his doctoral and master’s degrees at Oklahoma State University in the Fire and Emergency Management Administration graduate program and his Fire Science undergraduate degree at Lake Superior State University in Michigan, where he was a volunteer firefighter and EMT-Basic. Joel is interested in building the body of knowledge in the field of emergency services to prevent loss in human health. His current research focuses on firefighter sleep habits, sleep quality, and shift schedules. He strives toward developing methods to reduce the sleep deficiency epidemic in emergency services, ultimately improving health, safety, and performance. He strongly supports bridging the gap between academia and practice by involving practitioner stakeholders in deliberation thereby influencing evidence-based decisions. Joel’s non-academic interests include spending time with his wife, Emily while enjoying the outdoor adventures of biking, hiking, and camping.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Fire & Emergency Mgmt Admin, Oklahoma State University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Fire & Emergency Mgmt Admin, Oklahoma State University