- Visiting Professor
- Maj.Mirmirani@erau.edu Email
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- College of Engineering
Maj Mirmirani first came to the United States in 1969 after graduating from Tehran Polytechnic University (now known as Amir Kabir University) with a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering. Mirmirani continued his studies at the University of California, Berkeley, where he obtained a doctorate in Mechanical Engineering in 1977.
Thereafter, he and his family returned to Iran until 1980. From 1977 to 1980, he was a Senior Analyst at the Industrial Management Institute of the Economic and Industrial Development Organization in Iran and an Adjunct Professor in Systems Engineering at the National University of Iran.
In 1980, Mirmirani and his family left Iran and spent a year in the United Kingdom where he worked at the Department of Electrical Engineering at the Imperial College of Science and Technology in London as an Academic Visitor.
Upon returning to the United States, Mirmirani joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at California State University Los Angeles (CSULA) where he served as a Professor from 1981- 2007 and as Department Chair from 1992 to 1996 and from 2002 to 2007.
During his tenure at CSULA, he led many major research projects - interdisciplinary in nature - funded by NASA, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, NSF, and industry exceeding $12M. Most notable among these research projects was the modeling and control of airbreathing hypersonic flight vehicles, design and development of a high endurance hydrogen fuel cell – powered UAV, design and fabrication of a precision segmented reflector testbed, three NASA STTR awards, and the establishment of the Multidisciplinary Flight Dynamics and Control Laboratory (MFDCLab) which he directed until October 2007.
Mirmirani is the recipient of the CSULA 2002-2003 University Outstanding Professor Award, and the CSULA University 1996 Meritorious and Professional Promise Award. In 2007, Mirmirani joined Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University as the Dean of the College of Engineering.
Mirmirani is an Associate Fellow of the AIAA, and a member of ASME, ASEE, TAU BETA PI-the Engineering Honor Society and PI TAU SIGMA-the International Mechanical Engineering Honor Society. He is an instrument-rated private pilot and a member of Airplane Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA).
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering: Mechanical Engineering, University of California-Berkeley
- M.S. - Master of Science in Engineering: Mechanical Engineering, University of California-Berkeley
- ME 599: Special Topics Mech Engr
- Lee, J. W., Gangadharan, S.N., Mirmirani, M. D., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Large Scale Hybrid Composite Wind Turbine Blade", AIAA SDM 52 conference, April 4-7, 2011, Denver, CO
- Lee, J. W., Gangadharan, S.N., Mirmirani, M. D., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Hybrid Composite Wind Turbine Blade", ASME 2011 Applied Mechanics And Materials Conference, May 31- June 2, 2011, Chicago, IL
- Mirmirani, M. D., Kuipers, M., Levin, J., Clark, A., “Flight Dynamic Characteristics of an Airbreathing Generic Hypersonic Flight Vehicle,” American Control Conference, St. Louis, MO, 2009 invited paper
- Kuipers, M., Ioannou, P., Mirmirani, M.D., "Analysis of an Adaptive Mixing Control Scheme for an Airbreathing Hypersonic Vehicle Model," American Control Conference, St. Louis, MO, 2009 invited paper
- Keshmiri, S., Colgren, R., Mirmirani, M., “A Nonlinear ten degrees of Freedom Dynamics Model of a Generic Hypersonic Vehicle,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, vol. 46, No.3, May-June 2009
- Keshmiri, S., Colgren, R., Farokhi, S., Mirmirani, M., “Nonlinear and Linear Longitudinal and Lateral-Directional Dynamical Model of an Airbreathing Hypersonic Vehicle,” presented at the AIAA Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems Technologies Conference, Dayton OH, May 2008
- Kahveci, N., Ioannou, P., Mirmirani, M., “Adaptive LQ Control with Anti-Windup Augmentation to Optimize UAV Performance in Autonomous Soaring Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, August 2008
- Levin, J., Ioannou, P., Mirmirani, M., “Adaptive mode Suppression for an Aeroelastic Airbreathing Hypersonic Vehicle,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference and Exhibit, Honolulu, Hawaii, August 2008
- California State University, Los Angeles; Faculty/Chair, 1981 – 2007
- CF Brun and Company; Senior Engineer, 1981 -1982
Industrial Management Institute, Tehran, Iran; Senior Analyst, 1977 - 1980
Memberships and Credentials
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Fellow
- American Institute of Astronautics and Aeronautics (AIAA) Associate Fellow
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Member
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Member
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Diversity and Women’s Initiatives Vision Award, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, 2011
- University Outstanding Professor, California State University, Los Angeles, 2004
- Meritorious Performance and Promise Award, California State University, Los Angeles, 1998
- NASA Technical Brief for software development, “Algorithm for Calibrating Robot Arms,” 1986
- Tau Beta Pi, the Engineering Honor Societies, Inducted member
- Pi Tau Sigma, the Mechanical Engineering Honor Society