Shanan G. Gibson
- Professor and Dean
- Shanan.Gibson@erau.edu Email
- Management, Marketing and Operations Department
- College of Business
Areas of ExpertiseTopics related to Industrial Psychology including job analysis and selection; Entrepreneurship; HRM for the Insurance and Manufacturing industries.
Shanan G. Gibson, Ph.D., joined the O’Maley College of Business having most recently served as the Dean of the College of Business at Texas A&M - Commerce for three years. Prior to this she was the Associate Dean for Student & Faculty Development in the College of Business at East Carolina University (2012 -2017) and is a Professor of Management. She earned both an MS (1998) and PhD (2001) in Industrial & Organizational Psychology from Virginia Tech. Her research focuses on topics relevant to human resources and organizational development including job analysis, technology acceptance in organizations, and entrepreneurship.
Her research can be seen in the Journal of Small Business Strategy, Business Education Forum, Small Business Institute Forum, and Management Research News, among others. Shanan enjoys consulting on human resources related topics within the manufacturing and insurance industries. She served on the U.S. Social Security Administration's Occupational Information Development Advisory Panel from 2009 - 2012. Prior to joining East Carolina University, Shanan worked in sales and corporate medical education.
Specialties: Topics related to Industrial Psychology including job analysis and selection; Entrepreneurship; HRM for the Insurance and Manufacturing industries.
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.S. - Master of Science in Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B. - Bachelor in Liberal Studies: Psychology, Georgia Southern University
Selected Recent Journal Publications
- Barber, D., Ghouse, S., Batchelor, J., Chahaer, F., Gibson, S., Harris, M. (in press, 2020). An investigation of Indian student attitudes towards entrepreneurs and managers. Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies.
- Barber, D., Ghouse, S., Gibson, S., & Harris, M. (in press, 2020). Gender and exposure differences in entrepreneurial attitudes of Indian university students. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business.
- Barber, D., Batchelor, J., Hatten, T., Gibson, S., Rolinek, L. (2020). Czech Students’ Perceptions of Ethical Behavior in Business and Entrepreneurship. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(1), 80-91.
- Burch, J., Batchelor, J., Bostwick, E., Gibson, S., Burch, G., Abston, K. & Ellenberg, G. (2019). Assessing Higher Education Assessment Policies and Processes: A Critical Policy Analysis Approach. Journal of Academic Administration in Higher Education, 14(2), 47-63.
- Burch, G., Batchelor, J., Burch, J., Gibson, S., & Kimball, B. (2018). Microaggression, anxiety, trigger warnings, emotional reasoning, mental filtering, and intellectual homogeneity on campus: A study of what students think. Journal of Education for Business, 93(5), 233-241.
- Barber, D., Gibson, S., Harris, M., & Ladislav, R. (2017). Entrepreneurial attitudes of students in the Czech Republic. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 23(1), 6-23.
- Dickens, D., Gibson, S., Harris, M., & McDowell, W. (2016). Financial literacy within the family firm: An exploratory examination and opportunity for learning. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 21 (3), 57-72.
- Gibson, S. G., Harris, M. L., Aaron, J. R., & McDowell, W. C. (2016). The halo of social entrepreneurship. Journal of Ethics and Entrepreneurship.
- Aaron, J., Gibson, S., McDowell, W., Michael, H., & Jobe, M. (2015). Structuring executive compensation contracts: The moderating role of industry technological intensity. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 16(3), 11-26.
Selected Books & Book Chapters
- Gibson, S. G. (in press, 2019). Understanding work analysis and its applications, 2nd ed. In D. R. Strauser (Ed.), Career development, employment, and disability: From theory to practice. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Gibson, S. G. (2013). Understanding work analysis and its applications. In D. R. Strauser (Ed.), Career development, employment, and disability: From theory to practice (261-276). New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Gibson, S. G. (2012). Generalized work dimension analysis. In M. A. Wilson, W. Bennett, Jr., S. G. Gibson, & G.M. Alliger (Eds.), The handbook of work analysis: Methods, systems, applications and science of work measurement in organizations (215-230). New York, NY: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Bennett, W., Alliger, G., Wilson, M., and Gibson, S. (2012). Concluding thoughts: Challenges and opportunities in work analysis. In M. A. Wilson, W. Bennett, Jr., S. G. Gibson, & G. M. Alliger (Eds.), The handbook of work analysis: Methods, systems, applications and science of work measurement in organizations (215-230). New York, NY: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Gibson, S. & Harris, M. (2009). Online education - Student expectations for distance education. In M. R. Pierson, K. K. Stang, & B. Varner, (Eds.), Sound instruction: Assessment & consultation, volume II, (pp. 160- 165). CA, NY, TN: Rapid Intellect Group.
Dean, David B. O’Maley College of Business, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (2020 – present)
Dean, College of Business, Texas A&M University-Commerce (2017 – 2020)
Associate Dean for Student & Faculty Development, College of Business, East Carolina University (2012-2017)
- Professor of Management, College of Business, ECU (2003 - 2017)
Memberships and Credentials
- AACSB New Deans Affinity Group Steering Committee, chair 2019 – 2020; 2018 – present
- Decision Sciences Institute
- Immediate Past Chair, 2020 – 2022
- Vice President, Member Services, 2018 – 2020
- Member Services Committee, 2015 – 2017
- Regional Activities Committee, 2015 – 2017
- Beta Gamma Sigma DFW Alumni Chapter – Board Member, 2019 – 2020
- Southeast Decision Sciences Institute
- Past President & Council member, 2016
- President, 2015
- President Elect, 2014
- Conference Chair, 2013
- Vice President for Publications, 2010
- Small Business Institute®
- Vice President Development, 2017
- Vice President of Research & Publications, 2013 – 2014
- Financial Audit Committee, 2012
- Southeast Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Past President & Executive Council, current
- President, 2012
- Vice President 2011
- Secretary/Treasurer, 2010
- Conference Chair, 2009
- Appointed member U.S. Social Security Administration’s Occupational Information Development Advisory Panel, 2009-2012
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
Recipient ECU 2010 Board of Governor’s Teaching Award
Recipient ECU 2009 Max Ray Joyner Award for Faculty Service through Continuing Education
Recipient ECU 2009 Robert L. Jones University Alumni Award for Outstanding Teaching
Recipient ECU 2009 – 2012 College of Business Teaching Fellow
Recipient ECU 2005 College of Business Commerce Club New Faculty Teaching Award